Are these Pullets or Too Early to Tell?

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
8 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
Could you try a close up of the comb? It's a little hard to tell with this picture but for now I will say pullets.

Last edited:

Mountain Peeps

Jesus is my life
Premium member
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
Hi there! Your chicks are sooo cute!! Where did you find that particular breed? I think it's gorgeous!
Do you have any other breeds?

~Sarah

Mercilless

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 13, 2013
I think thier pullets,

Because as far as i know pullets develop thier hair faster, i mean thier real hair, than the cockerels

CrazyChickGirl

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 13, 2014
Is there any pink in their comb? Do they have pink wattles coming in? Those would probably be the first possible signs at this age, but it might be a little early to say for sure.

happybooker1

Songster
7 Years
Oct 4, 2012
North of Houston Texas
Hi there! Your chicks are sooo cute!! Where did you find that particular breed? I think it's gorgeous!
Do you have any other breeds?

~Sarah
I looked on the Ameraucana site for a list of breeders by state. LUCKILY there is a breeder of Bantams only 45 minutes north of me. I bought a hen (Grown and laying -- $10), he gave me another hen with crooked toes (also laying), and I bought the only 2 chicks he'd had hatch out in 24 hours that weren't spoken for ($4 each). He thought he had 3 but turned out he counted wrong and only had these 2. Got my fingers crossed for more females!

There is NO pink yet in the comb and whatever sex they are, they must be the same because their feathering and tail growth has been exactly the same for the month I've had them.

debid

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 20, 2011
middle TN
Cuties! It's too early to say with certainty that they are pullets but they aren't showing any cockerel signs yet. I'd wait a few more weeks to watch for comb changes. If they still have little birth pale combs at 8 weeks, odds are excellent for pullets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom