Are these pure Araucanas? PIC HEAVY

ClucksForFun

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 5, 2012
So I got these off of Craigslist. They are four weeks old. The wonderful lady I bought them from said she craigslisted the parents and they hatched chicks. She says they are purebred Araucanas. I'm no chicken expert, so what do you guys think? Two are rumpless and one has very sporadic tail feathers. I've heard this happens quite frequently, but most the time they are culled for having tail feather. Is this accurate as well? Thanks in advance!

Chick A: I'm guessing this is a roo, but I may be wrong. Your guesses are much welcomed! He/she has beautiful coloring!

Chick B: Pullet?

Chick C: No clue on sex. This chick has sporadic tail feathers.

Rumplessness alone doesn't indicate an Araucana. That being said, I don't know if those are true Araucana. I do believe you have roo, pullet, roo, in that order.

I think they're all mixed breeds, truthfully. They may be easter eggers, but they don't have beards or muffs, and the last one has wrong color legs. I know, folks will come on saying ee have no standard so they can look like anything, but there is a "look" to most of them, esp hatchery birds. Since your birds were home hatched, they're probably easter egger mixed with something else.

The first and third birds are cockerals. The middle one is a hen.

They look like nonstandard Araucana, lacking tufts which is pretty common. Rudimentary tail feathers are common as well. Yellow to willow shanks are appropriate for large fowl. They will not all be willow because of the color crossing. They are a bit too young to sex yet.

Nonstandard in color, although they appear to have wild type genes which people tend to like as they are very colorful. There are Araucana breeders working on wild colors, so maybe not such a big disappointment. Personally, I like the nonstandard colors better than the standard ones. When I refer to mutts, I think of cross breeds. It's to hard to say if these are or not. We don't know how they're body type will finish out or what color eggs they will lay yet. Those are two big indicators of Araucana.

Back
Top Bottom