Are these RIR's?

indianachicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Here are the 6 chicks I bought at Big R a couple days ago... I believe 2 of them are buff orpingtons, 2 are black australorps, and I wanted to double check on the 2 red ones... Do you guys think they are Rhode Island Reds? I am getting nervous after doing research that these are not good for children, and they are aggressive and/or bossy and sometimes kill other chickens...
Is this true? The sales guy at Big R told me they were great with kids, then I come home and get on the Internet and read otherwise... Should I re-home the red ones and find 2 gentler chicks? Thanks in advance!

Also, any clue on how old they are? They are fuzzy all over but have small feathers on the wings... Big R said 1 or 2 or 3 weeks old... I would like to narrow that down a little...

A true bred Rhode Island Red is a docile, wonderful bird. However, the hatcheries and then re-sold by feed stores are not bred to the Standard. They vary greatly, but generally can be thought of as a production oriented, reddish bird. Guessing the future temperament of any hatchery sourced bird is virtually impossible because one cannot interview the breeder and discuss the temperament of the parent stock. My guess is that they'd be just fine. Just a guess.

They look to be about 10-14 days old.

Last edited:
All you have read about RIR are misconceptions totally. I think RIR hens can be as gentle as any other chicken
breed, it's how often you handle them that will make them more friendly. I have never had an issue with an aggressive RIR, I even had a friendly RIR Rooster too. Keep them, you'll be fine!

Last edited:
maybe they are aggresive or not because i have RIRs and all of them are not aggesive to me but if you gotten a cockerel then it might be aggresive

I have a hatchery red in my flock right now. She's definitely bolder than just about any other hen I've had and she certainly doesn't tolerate any other hen trying to push her around, but she's never injured another chicken and my four year old can handle her easily. I wouldn't write them off just for being hatchery reds.

Also, any clue on how old they are?  They are fuzzy all over but have small feathers on the wings...  Big R said 1 or 2 or 3 weeks old...  I would like to narrow that down a little... 
Also, any clue on how old they are?  They are fuzzy all over but have small feathers on the wings...  Big R said 1 or 2 or 3 weeks old...  I would like to narrow that down a little... 
mine csme from hatchry may 5 they already show a lot of feathers.. id say urs is more like a week. this is mine at two

i dont their duposid attitude but mine seem very calm. she is very laid back and are not nearly as food aggressive as all my other breeds EEs being the worst.

Last edited:
We had TONS of RIR's growing up and never had a mean one. I am a sucker though for a BO or barred rock...but my all time favorite hen we had growing up as an EE.

Back
Top Bottom