Is this really a RIR, or something else?

HenriettaPizzaNolan

Raising Layers and Meat Birds in the City
Premium Feather Member
Apr 22, 2022
Northern Ohio
This chick is from a classroom hatch with eggs from Meyer Hatchery. This chick, according to the egg code from the egg I think it came from (based on no other red breeds hatching), is a Rhode Island Red. However, I noticed the wing feathers it is sprouting are white. It also has much more contrast of red/white (more like a big stripe down the back than the red dusting I've seen on other RIR chicks) than the chicks on Meyer's breed ID page. I'm wondering if the egg was mislabeled and this could be a NH Red, Golden Buff, or something else. I'm inexperienced with RIR chicks so tell me if this is a stupid question lol.

signal-2023-12-08-15-01-51-206.jpg
signal-2023-12-08-15-02-16-071.jpg
signal-2023-12-08-15-02-44-937.jpg

Here's so hoping it's a female, whatever it is!

Can you get better pictures away from the red light?
The first pic is taken out of the light. I realize the hand is covering most of it, but that should give you an idea of the real shades of red and white, and then you can compare it to the other pics to see the pattern.

Sorry, wish I had more pics.

The first pic is taken out of the light. I realize the hand is covering most of it, but that should give you an idea of the real shades of red and white, and then you can compare it to the other pics to see the pattern.

Sorry, wish I had more pics.
Could be a Golden Buff, or Golden Comet.

Back
Top Bottom