Are these roosters? Lots of pictures.

PiersonPeeps

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
I think I am being over run with roosters. Can you guys have a look at them and help me out? I didn't want any roosters to begin with and I know I have at least 3 because I have heard 3 very different crows in the mornings but I only know who 2 of them are. They are all about 4 to 4 1/2 months old. I bought them all as chicks from the feed store so I don't know their hatch date.

This little black guy is Shadow and I definitely know he is a rooster. He's the most vocal of the three that are talking.

This is my Bantam Cochin and I haven't heard him crow but still pretty sure he's a rooster. He is also starting to grow spurs.

Here's my RIRs and I am starting to think about 3 of them are roosters. I can take more pictures tonight if you guys need more. I have seen what I think are spurs starting to grow but I have not caught any of them to get a closer look.

Here is one of the accused "roosters" next to a hen of the same age.

Here's the 3 accused with a hen in the lower left.

Here's some pictures of their backs. Sorry about the quality. I was using my phone because I couldn't find my real camera.

I am also questioning the gender of the EE in this picture too. He is the one between the black Bantam and the RIR, He has his head in the dish.

His "mane" is a lot fluffier and he has longer tail feathers than my other EE. I have not caught him to check for spurs but I have also read on other posts that he might be too young for them. Just depends on the individual.

Here he is with my other EE on the bottom of the picture.

So what do you guys think? I have a feeling I am going to be thinning my flock.

I don't think that things are that bad. The EE is a pullet. The black bantam and the red Cochin? are both cockerels. The pictures of the reds are not conclusive, but I think they all appear to be pullets that are starting to mature. You hear 3 - I only see 2.

I am with sourland, I only see two roosters. On you're red cochin you can see his darker red saddle and hackle feathers coming in, you can than see if you see these feathers coming in on the rir

Agreed, only see two roosters- little black guy and cochin. All RIR shown in pics are pullets. If any were roosters, they would look a lot like the cochin in color and feather because they have basically similar color genetics.

as for the ee, it's a pullet for sure by coloration. If she were a male, the color would be completely different- black breast, very red neck, back and solid black tail with sickles. It's the same as not needing to sex welsumers by checking for spurs when their colors are so different at this age.

Thanks guys. I am glad to hear I am freaking out for nothing. Is it possible that 1 rooster could sound like 2? I know my little black guy's crow but not the red Cochin. Also, would the Cochin be big enough to breed the larger hens? He's not much smaller than they are. If so, I have a neighbor who wants him.

O yeah he will be able to breed hens. He's not that small and his body type helps too. The black one won't have as easy time but he will be able to if he figures it out.

btw the black one seems to be hatchery stock black Japanese. Same with the bantam black hen.

I'm wondering about the barred bird. The overall color is pretty light, which is usually rooster indicator, but nothing else really looks rooster, esp if it's 4+ months old. Maybe a profile pic of that bird?

Yeah that barred bird caught my eye also, aside being very light, everything else looks pullet on it... may be a from a light line of barred/cuckoo? closer pictures of it might change opinions though!

Back
Top Bottom