1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are these two eggs any good?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by petchickenlover, Aug 27, 2011.

1. petchickenlover

petchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    My hens abandoned the last two eggs once 4 of the chicks hatched... so i made a home-made incubator and put them in there. I've been candling them and there's nothing obviously telling me that they're bad, but i wanted an expert opinion [​IMG]

Also if you can tell what day they appear to be on that would be wonderful [​IMG]
    I'm sorry they're blurry, i don't have a good camera at the moment [​IMG]

Egg 1:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Egg 2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    i would keep them in the incubator a little longer.
    My chicks hatched 2 on the 4th then a chick on the 10th, and another on the 11th. so one of my chicks came on day 28!!!!
    very spread out.

i would give it a few more days.

3. petchickenlover

Sep 9, 2008
    Quote:Wow, day 28! I'm planning on keeping them until about the 1st [unless, of course, they start stinking [​IMG]] so that should give them enough time if they're going to hatch..

4. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Good luck!!!

5. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Think I can see veins in number 1, number 2 looks good too, but I'm no expert. [​IMG]

6. petchickenlover

Sep 9, 2008
    Quote:I thought i could see veins as well. i'm pretty sure #1 is okay, it seems to be developing well.. but #2 i haven't seen too much change in so..

7. petchickenlover

Sep 9, 2008
    I candled again today and egg #1 looks to only be half full?? there's nothing on the pointy side of the egg...Is it all right or is it dead?[​IMG]

8. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Look up how to "float test" the eggs here on BYC...

Good luck! [​IMG]

9. petchickenlover

Sep 9, 2008
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

Look up how to "float test" the eggs here on BYC...

Good luck! [​IMG]

#1 was no good. I [had my dad] dissect it and it stunk& was very water-y [​IMG] #2 was moving around and looks good. i'll keep him in the 'bator for longer...​

10. cooka1505

cooka1505 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2011
    Hi all!
    I'm new to this and hatching eggs my batch of 4. 1 hatched a day early and the other 2 hatched the correct day but my fourth egg no hatch [​IMG] iv left number 4 in the incubator it is now 2 days late iv just canceled it and there's something in there but no movement and the air sac has taken up half the egg
    Can someone please tell me what's happening coz I'm getting slightly worried.
    Thanks all!
    3 dogs, 2 ducks , 2 chickens 3 chicks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by