Are these Welsummers roos?

Bosque

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Arizona
31107_img_0913.jpg
[/img]

Any idea what breed the guy in the back is?

I would say they are both pullets but I would like to see a better picture of their headcap and eye-liners.

As for the other one, don't really know. I only breed Ameraucanas, Barnevelders, and Welsummers. My guess would be a BO but couldn't say for sure.

God Bless,

Don't depend on the eyeliner -- my boyo had some serious eyeliner as a chick, and a very defined V. Maybe he was a Goth, I don't know.

I'm not very good at judging sex from the baby markings. Seems that the ones I have hatched didn't really conform to the rules.
hmm.png

You can tell for sure once they start feathering in. The males will have black on the chest, and the females won't.

Quote:
Uzuri, where did you get your chicks from? It is my understanding that many of the chicks that come from the hatcheries do not have the distinct markings on the headcap or eyeliner. I have not heard of a Wellie having a "serious eyeliner" and "very defined V" and not being a female. I would add that the V is not only clearly defined but it should have a thin black line running alongside as well.

Most folks on here know that I have a German line of Welsummers that came from one of the original five breeders to get the Wellies accepted into the APA in 1991. I believe he was also one of the two people who brought them to this country. I also have acquired a Barber Line that comes from the UK/Netherlands line. And I am in the process of obtaining chicks from the original Barber birds.

I mention this because I can identify the male from female chicks with about 99% accuracy on my German line. I am waiting for the Barber eggs to hatch. These eggs came from the Harry Shaw/Calicowoods line. I understand they can be easily sexed as Day-Olds as well.

Given that it is quite normal to see good traits lost in hatchery birds, it would not be surprising at all to see this Wellie trait lost as well in hatchery birds.

God Bless,

Back
Top Bottom