Are they dehydrated, very tired, or just stupid? URGENT

amartinlb

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Jersey Shore
Today on impulse we went to the feed store and got three pullet about 1 week old Silver Spangled Spitzhauben Appenzellers that they got from Ideal Poultry.

When we got there there was only like 10 left (they ordered likely between 25-75) and they were about a week old. One of them I suspected may have had the pasty butt thing so we avoided it, another littler one didn't look so good and another was dead. The dead one the worker there said didn't look so good the past day or two and kept it in there in case it pulled through...obviously it didn't. There were like up to 50 other chicks in the same container though (large container, not cramped) such as barred rocks, RIRs, etc.

The three we picked were the largest, most active ones and had the most feather growth.

The ride home we took a 1.5-2 hour detour driving around the county looking at neighborhoods and homes since we are going to have to move soon but we left the cardboard box open all the way with all the windows open in the 93F weather (they had plenty of aeration).

When we got them home in the aquarium (until they are big enough to be with the Wyandottes (about 3 weeks old) in the garage) all they did was sleep and rarely moved. A couple times we dipped their beaks into the waterer just in case.

Well tonight I checked on them again and passed out they were, all stretched out too under the hot red floodlight... I picked all of them up and dipped their beaks in the water again and all seemed to drink when I dipped them and only one stayed put when I let it go to drink some more.

So my question is...Are they just stressed and tired and that's why they weren't that active here as they were in the feed store? Are they dehydrated from being without water for the 1-2 hours in the car and heat? Or are they just stupid and haven't figured out that the big, red, wet thing has the water?

Thanks in advance... I'll be keeping a close eye on them. Aside from sleeping all the time they seem healthy... I just haven't seen them eat or drink on their own yet (some did pick at the wood shavings (feed store had a different bedding)...

-Anna

Update: after dunking them all AGAIN they are wandering a tiny bit around the aquarium and are chirping like crazy... I'm still not seeing any AT ALL going near the food or water which are in the middle of the aquarium...

I think maybe they are just exhausted after the trip home, my babies don't seem too interested in the food the first day home but then watch out. I have some four week ones right now and can't keep food in their container. Then I have all sizes, two weeks, 1 week and three days old in the laundry room in a big brooder.

I would keep dipping them every so often. I hauled 4 chicks home over Easter weekend on about a 5 hour car trip, and they were dopey for a while afterwards.

Chicks always seem a bit dopey the first few hours. I got a McMurray shipment this morning, and you would not have believed the difference in energy level after just a couple hours on food and water!

momma's chickens :

I think maybe they are just exhausted after the trip home, my babies don't seem too interested in the food the first day home but then watch out. I have some four week ones right now and can't keep food in their container. Then I have all sizes, two weeks, 1 week and three days old in the laundry room in a big brooder.

Yeah I just wanted to be sure because all the other breeds I got ate and drank IMMEDIATELY when they came home...and some of them are nearly 10 weeks old now and are thriving outside... These just seemed a lot more fragile though...

Anybody else want to confirm they think it's just stress/exhaustion and nothing to worry about?

Thanks for the reply though,
-Anna​

It could be stress and such -- but they could also be too hot. Not much air flow in an aquarium, and not much room for them to find a cool spot unless it is huge. I would try reducing the temp in there. I'm not big on putting thermometers in brooders, but I use huge cardboard boxes so they have plenty of room to move away from the heat.

I have had the experience of the liilte peeps being real tired after first day home or so. My little partridge rock was chirping a lot several days after I brought her home. I watched her pick at the chcick starter but not eat any. So I ground up some of the feed in a mortar and pestle and VOILA! She needed smaller food for a bout a week but is good now. A dainty eater I guess. Hopefully yours bounce back here real soon. Good luck
Rachael C - mother of all

I got my new chicks today as well, they are very lazy and dopy as well, they will actually stand, fall asleep, fall over, and then just lay there when another one lays or stands on it. Go figure!, they will wisen up I'm sure.
hu.gif
29223_042709_088.jpg

Quote:
He he he

I love that tiny baby stage where they are still too dumb to lay down before going to sleep!

I think we take for granted how much chicks learn from the hen when raised naturally. They really are completely clueless at first!

Back
Top Bottom