Are they ever going to lay, should I cull?

LindsayB

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2008
Cypress, Texas
I've been waiting 29 weeks for my 2 ee's and br to start laying, but still nothing. Is it possible I picked out the only duds of the group? lol I'm so frustrated and I'm seriously thinking about sending them to the freezer. Theres a feed store nearby that has 20 week old red stars already laying and it sooooo tempting to go over there and get some. I just want some eggs and my chickens are driving me crazy! Are they going to wait until next year to lay or what? What do ya'll do with the birds that are 'freeloaders'?

EE's simply take forever, but once they start-lay fairly prolifically; an egg every other day. Barred rocks are great layers, some take longer than others to start-hang in there. Hey, I've got cuckoo marans that were hatched out the first week of march..........we're in the same boat!! LOL

Hang in there, it will happen. EE's can take longer to start laying. 7 or 8 mos old, is not unusual. Are you feeding layer crumbles or pellets? In addition to that I would also throw out some BOSS for treats.

Last edited:
Quote:
Seriously? Please give them a chance. In the meantime, you can support those who are providing wonderful homes for their birds by buying their eggs
smile.png
. It will all work out beautifully.
smile.png

JJ (jjthink most of the time)

My EEs took forever to start laying. Three of them are still not laying but the ones that are have given me an egg pretty much every day. Today was the first day that one of my girls laid. I really didn't think she was ever going to do it but it happened! Do their combs look red? That is a good signal that eggs are on the way.

They have layer pellets with a conditioning supplement mixed in with it. And they are feed LOTS of treats. fruits, veggies, oatmeal, etc. I also forgot to mention they have very red faces and having been squatting and cackling for weeks...but still nothing.

I know how you feel! I purchased 18 week old pullets thinking that they were POL. I got RIR, BR, BO, true Ameraucanas and EE. My first egg arrived when they were 27 weeks old and the last FINALLY laid at 35 weeks old.. I had thought I would never get eggs. I even thought my EE might be roosters (never had rose combs before).. I emailed the breeder over and over again, asked here--what I was doing wrong, did I need to change their feed, were they all roosters, etc. etc... But once they started it was like Christmas..and I finally realized--they lay when they are ready--and NOT one minute before.. I think so many people have read that chickens start to lay at 16 weeks-20weeks....that everyone expects them to lay during that age.. My uncle (who is 80) said he remembered his grandparents and parents-- setting eggs in the late summer so the new hens would start to lay in the early spring when they about 30 weeks old. IF they were born in early spring --they started laying in Sept/Oct --when the weather cooled off. He knew their age because it was his job to cull the roosters and spent hens for canning He said he never heard of a chicken laying at 16-20 weeks old until they 'came out w/ these hybrids'!

The bad thing about all these "my chickens are laying" posts is that they give an inflated idea of when birds should start. Don't be so impatient with them, if they are pullets the will, in time, lay. They have their own timetable and it isn't dependent on when some others of the same breed start.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom