Are they ever going to lay, should I cull?

I have three barred rock girls and they are not laying yet either! they are nearly 6 months old, I can't wait til I get an egg from them
smile.png

Quote:
Must be cause all of my BR's starting laying right around 20 weeks!
idunno.gif
Some maybe a little later but the majority was like clockwork!!

Wishing you get your eggs soon!!
fl.gif

Missi

Quote:
I never thought I would see a man talking about menstruating... LOL that made me smile!

Really? I found it somewhat tacky, and just a way to draw attention to his post. It certainly wasn't necessary in order to give information to the OP about when the hens would start laying, since the subject is chickens, not teenage girls.

I seem to recall that discussions of human sexuality are taboo here, for good reason, and menstruation falls under that category for me. (and I am not real narrow minded at all)

I think it would suffice to say all hens start laying at different ages, be patient. You will probably have eggs very soon. Do look to see if they are already laying around the area. My EEs didn't lay until 32 weeks.

Sorry I offended you but I used it to make a point--not all females start ovulating at the same time be they mammals or avian. BTW, I consider words like menstruation in the same category as sperm, egg, testes, pregnant, and copulation--all of which I have seen used in threads in this forum. Of course, I coached HS girls' sports for 20 years so if you want I could substitute a number of vernacular terms for it, if that is preferred.

you didn't say if they free range. Check for hidden eggs. I have 2 EE now, had 3 one died but all laid in 19-20 wks. They are a threat to lay somewhere odd

Quote:
I also have BR's and EE's born a day over 6 months ago and no eggs yet. I wonder if it also has something to do with the seasonal changes---like some years you just get really good fruit and veggies from the garden and some years are a bust.

I appreciate all the information and discussion, my girls (RI Red & Black Australorpe) are about 19 weeks old and I was started to get concerned with no eggs. We'll continue to be patient, tons of fun reading/learning about everyone else's patient egg waiting times.

Quote:
I never thought I would see a man talking about menstruating... LOL that made me smile!

Really? I found it somewhat tacky, and just a way to draw attention to his post. It certainly wasn't necessary in order to give information to the OP about when the hens would start laying, since the subject is chickens, not teenage girls.

I seem to recall that discussions of human sexuality are taboo here, for good reason, and menstruation falls under that category for me. (and I am not real narrow minded at all)

I think it would suffice to say all hens start laying at different ages, be patient. You will probably have eggs very soon. Do look to see if they are already laying around the area. My EEs didn't lay until 32 weeks.

Really....this post seems to make me think you are narrow minded. I didn't think it was tacky, I got it for what it was....a point he was trying to make about being patient. He wasn't talking about teenage girls, he said women specifically. Why are people so uptight.... Your post gives no more information than his does, he says be patient it will happen, you give a date for when your started, none of that other info was necessary but you put it in.....see the point....

Quote:
Seemed like an germane comparison to other mysterious timelines of sexual maturity, one that would be a recognizable, personal anecdote for 50% of the forum posters.

Bodies mature on their own internal schedule; we understand the concepts but cannot time the exact event. Reminds me a bit of the conversation between God and Job in Job 38.

Back
Top Bottom