Are they ever going to lay, should I cull?

Quote:
Which is: No you don't have to cull, they will lay on their preprogramed, natural, internal clock.

What he said.

I did read somewhere that feeding a lot of fruit could delay egg laying. I have NO idea if that is true or why that might be, but I did read it on here somewhere.

Quote:
x2! Usually laying happens between 20 and 30 weeks, and varies with breeds and individual birds. The sooner they lay, the sooner you will have problems like internal laying, prolapse, ect.

Great example Woodmort!

I have a 24 week old Barred Rock and Easter Egger, no eggs yet, but neither really look ready so I think I am still a bit off
smile.png

Quote:
Really? I found it somewhat tacky, and just a way to draw attention to his post. It certainly wasn't necessary in order to give information to the OP about when the hens would start laying, since the subject is chickens, not teenage girls.

I seem to recall that discussions of human sexuality are taboo here, for good reason, and menstruation falls under that category for me. (and I am not real narrow minded at all)

I think it would suffice to say all hens start laying at different ages, be patient. You will probably have eggs very soon. Do look to see if they are already laying around the area. My EEs didn't lay until 32 weeks.

Sorry I offended you but I used it to make a point--not all females start ovulating at the same time be they mammals or avian. BTW, I consider words like menstruation in the same category as sperm, egg, testes, pregnant, and copulation--all of which I have seen used in threads in this forum. Of course, I coached HS girls' sports for 20 years so if you want I could substitute a number of vernacular terms for it, if that is preferred.

Haha, just had to say "you didn't offend me at all" I actually read your post and never thought about it.... Hmm I guess it's not a secret.. I'm a woman and I have menstrated before.. Think that's in the norm... It's not something to be ashamed of. So no reason to be ofended.
idunno.gif

Ahhh.. Got it. I have two leghorn hens (1 white, 1 light brown) and a speckled sussex roo. Don't think anyone would want a mixed breed chick for anything but to eat when grown, so not sure we will sell fertile eggs/chicks. We'll probably just sell eggs for food.

Back
Top Bottom