Are they Fertile

Presleigh_801

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2019
My female Black Swedish duck is laying eggs but my male Rouen has been breeding with her so I don’t want to touch the eggs cause if I do she won’t sit on them there is 11 so far I don’t know if they are fertile or just yoke. So please let me know!!

My female Black Swedish duck is laying eggs but my male Rouen has been breeding with her so I don’t want to touch the eggs cause if I do she won’t sit on them there is 11 so far I don’t know if they are fertile or just yoke. So please let me know!!
Unfortunately the only way to know is to either crack a few open and look for fertility or incubate them and candle for fertility after about a week.
Just because there is a nest of eggs does not mean she it's going to go broody and hatch them.

If they are breeding, chances are the eggs are fertile. No guarantees of course. I think the important question is, "Is she broody?" If she is not sitting on the eggs, 11 eggs is 11 days and the oldest ones may start to rot. If she is sitting on them, I say let nature take its course. If she is not sitting on them, I say connect the eggs, place them in an incubator and candle after a week.

Back
Top Bottom