Are they getting enough water?

tiffu22

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 10, 2013
I just started to use the nipples and have taken the other water out. It has been 2 days and they seem to be able to use the nipple and peck at it. I just put the old water in and they drank from it for awhile like they have not had water for ever. I have 1 wk olds and 11 wk old chicks. I have noticed that 2 of my little chicks don't use the nipple at all and have kept both waters in theirs. Do you think they are getting enough and just like the easy one better?

I just started using it with mine and I watched the little ones (3 weeks old) until I actually saw them swallowing not just pecking. I read somewhere on here that they will always prefer a regular dish of water over the nipples so take normal water dishes out. But I would probably be hesitant to do so with such a young chick.

My chickens lived enclosed for a year with only nipple waterers and were fine. When I started letting them forage, they found the dog's water bucket. They acted as if they had not had any water in years. Of course, I found that they seem to prefer an occasional mud puddle over the water bucket.

I suspect that it is the chicken's intrinsic nature to drink from pools and streams. Even having plenty of water from the nipples, they would still drink from the pool.

The dogs seem to prefer to drink from the puddles, too. Go figure.

Chris

Firstly, i'll admit i don't have nipple waterers here but it is something i wonder, i am surprised at how much water hens drink, i gather it's due to the egg laying process, i'm sure they get enough to survive with nipples otherwise they wouldn't but i tend to prefer having my birds do more than just 'get by' so i waffle on the concept.
hu.gif

Last edited:
Don't you think that if they were really thirsty, they'd either visit the nipple more often or stay there longer? I've watched a hen come in from summer ranging and stand under the nipple with the flow open -- downing it like she was using a beer bong. Most of the time, they satisfy their thirst in small amounts, often just as they do with any fount. But, give a chicken novelty water, and they'll drink much more than they need. Mine love it when the rain has been heavy and there are random puddles and streams everywhere. They will drink that rain until they vomit no matter what water source they have in the coop.

I have been thinking about putting a nipple waterer inside the coop to keep down wetness on the floor and still put water dish in the run. should I stick with only 1 type of water source for both areas ? will they get confused or does this not matter to them.

I have been thinking about putting a nipple waterer inside the coop to keep down wetness on the floor and still put water dish in the run. should I stick with only 1 type of water source for both areas ? will they get confused or does this not matter to them.

I don't think they'd get confused but i believe most say if given a choice a chicken will choose the classic waterer or bowl what have you over a nipple. Then again i am only go by what i read, the girls here only have classic waterers and a heated dog bowl in winter lol I'd like a nipple for the coop to keep the water cleaner but that issue of whether they get enough nags at me.

What can I say, no amount of logic can overcome irrational fears.

I have a whole flock that has survived many 100-degree summer days with nothing but nipples to drink from and somehow managed to also lay eggs. The chicks use the nipples, too, and figured them out without a struggle. I love that I don't have to worry about them spilling or fouling their water. And yeah, a dry floor is nice, too.

What can I say, no amount of logic can overcome irrational fears.

I have a whole flock that has survived many 100-degree summer days with nothing but nipples to drink from and somehow managed to also lay eggs. The chicks use the nipples, too, and figured them out without a struggle. I love that I don't have to worry about them spilling or fouling their water. And yeah, a dry floor is nice, too.

I certainly wouldn't call it irrational? It's important to know what the pros/cons are to all choices.

Back
Top Bottom