1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

are they normal size?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beach livin', Dec 8, 2011.

1. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    the brown are what i have gotten this week from one of my girls. she is the first and only layer so far. the white are the typical large from the grocery. is this a normal size for a beginner? all my girls are bo's. sorry for the blurry pic, its my from my cell phone.
    [​IMG]

2. SarniaTricia

SarniaTricia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine were little at first too. totally normal and get regular size soon.
    [​IMG]

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I added 3 BOs to my flock this year,well your eggs look like 1 of my girls eggs. She started laying at 20 wks which I thought was kind of early for a BO but whatever she is laying albiet small eggs kind of the size of a banty. My other 2 started 26 and 28wks respectively. That being said their eggs were significantly larger that the first ones and still are today. All of them egg size has increased. That first girl started 9/3 and layed for 42 days straight just small ones. If I were to grade them it might be now a medium egg as to where her sisters are large.

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    They start pretty small. When we were beginning to get eggs, some of them that came out were more like robin egg size. Everyone admired the dinky little thing that had just come out of our fattest chicken...

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, those are normal size for a new layer. They will gradually get bigger over a few months. Then you will probably notice a big jump in size after their first adult molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by