Are they ready to go out to the coop??

katydidit

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
My 4 girls seem to have feathered out overnight!! Seriously, Friday morning I was telling my husband we needed to put the finishing touches on the coop and get the run done by the end of the month. And 2 days later, I'm looking at them, and they seemingly grew into young "women" in a matter of hours.

Their bodies are completely feathered, and their heads are in the "awkward" phase of half feather, half fuzz. They are in a 55g trough, and look to be outgrowing it quickly... that being said, they are 3.5 weeks old!!!

Is it too soon to move them to the coop?? Weather is between 70-80 during the day, and between 50-60 at night. We don't have electricity where the coop is so we wouldnt be able to put the heat lamp in.

Thoughts on this? I would like them to get outside as soon as I can, they LOVVVVEEE scratching around in the garden, and their run is over 100 square feet (probably more than they "need" but I thought the more the better).

Thanks
big_smile.png

I moved my brood of 25 out to the barn yesterday and they were all between 4 and 5 weeks old. They had really outgrown the house brooder, so I didn't have much of a choice! It is still pretty cold here in ND, the nights are still low to mid 30's. However I did put 2 heat lamps up and they all seem to be doing just fine after their first 36 hours
smile.png
I won't lie, I went out there 2x's in the middle of the night last night to check on them, and again 1st thing this morning. But honestly, they seem to be doing great! Good luck with the move!!
D.gif

I have 32 buff orps from McMurray that are two weeks old today ( or should I say I've had them two weeks today ) and I moved them out to their coop on Friday. I had planned to keep them indoors ( in a homemade brooder ) till they feathered out at around four weeks, they were growing so fast I didn't have the room to wait. I also don't have electricity but used drop cords to power a couple of heat lamps. I live in metro Atlanta and the last couple of nights the lows have been around 40+. They are loving life now, all the room ( 120 SF+ ) to run and Flex their wings. I have a attached run that I'm going to let them have access to in a couple weeks. I read here that its best to keep them in the coop for a while so that they know where the safe haven is. Sounds to me like your birds might be about ready, you must live in a warm climate.

Buffs only- Conyers GA

mine are 3 weeks today they have been in the coop since Thursday, lows here are in the 30 to 20 degrees at night and 40's during the day, a secure DRAFT free coop and a heat lamp and about 5 inches of shavings to snuggle down in. They are doing great.

mother o' chicks72 :

I've heard 8 weeks is when they should move outside.

My goodness, what huge birds to still have inside. Mother Broody hen would have kicked them out to the environment long, long ago.
smile.png

Many brood from day 1 outside, as I do. The question isn't inside or outside, but about the temps. At 5-6 weeks, most are feathered out and would need little night time supplemental heat, if any. All this depends on one's climate. At 6 weeks and night time temps at 50 and above, there's no concern whatsoever.​

Those chicks are ready to go outside!!! I will never brood chicks in the house again. I think it's totally disgusting!!! (We don't have a basement or extra room to lock them in) They kick up so much dust it's ridiculous!

mine i put out at 4 weeks, used an extension cord hoked to a 4 way thingy (hehe) have 2 heat lamps, all have been doing great and it still is chilly up here in Maine...

Quote:
I am going to make a brooder in my big coop, no more staying in the house, to much dust and my allergies are terrible but i have had to do this in the past but told dh time to make a brooder in the coop..

Back
Top Bottom