Are they still alive?

AmateurChickie

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 25, 2013
Hi all!

I've never hatched eggs before, and I can't tell if they're alive!

We had one chook sitting on 13 eggs in in the banana trees, we figured she'd be okay there because there wasn't any hay and didn't seem like there were any lice in there. But there were. The eggs are so far along that when I candle them, I can only see the air-sac. How do I tell if they're alive or not? I have put them in a make-shift incubator and they are warm enough. I don't have a thermometer or a thing to check the humidity, but I did put a glass of water in there for that.
I don't want to do the float test, and I don't want to scratch at the air-sac because I'm afraid of killing the baby.

Is there another way besides waiting?
Thanks.

it sounds like they are alive and forming well.

without checking the temperature, your incubator may kill them. to cold or hot will also cause other problems such as drying to fast, and deformed feet.

for future reference, i would have changed the bedding and treated the hen for the lice/mites. then put the eggs back in the nest.

Hi all!

I've never hatched eggs before, and I can't tell if they're alive!

We had one chook sitting on 13 eggs in in the banana trees, we figured she'd be okay there because there wasn't any hay and didn't seem like there were any lice in there. But there were. The eggs are so far along that when I candle them, I can only see the air-sac. How do I tell if they're alive or not? I have put them in a make-shift incubator and they are warm enough. I don't have a thermometer or a thing to check the humidity, but I did put a glass of water in there for that.
I don't want to do the float test, and I don't want to scratch at the air-sac because I'm afraid of killing the baby.

Is there another way besides waiting?
Thanks.

I'm a little confused about the situation, not that I'd be much help either. When I candle at 13 weeks, if I can't see through the egg, I leave them. The ones that I've had stop growing usually end up doing this weird floating thing. Unless I am sure, I just leave them til hatch. Then, I crack them open to see about when they quit. But in the end, if they are dark, I'd leave them. Be sure the incubator is keeping them at the constant correct temperature.

Thank you loveourbirds. We are changing the bedding and everything in the coop. But she was in the banana trees and wouldn't go back on the eggs.

your doing all you can, dont be dissapointed if it doesnt work out right.

treating for lice and mites is another issue, can i ask what you are using?

I know there is probably a high chance they wont survive, but gotta have hope, right!

We are using lime powder. It works well, but we need to bathe our chooks and put down some fresh hay again to make sure they don't come back, or come back as bad.

i haven't used lime powder, but i hear others saying it works. there are good and bad points to just about any treatment. with lime, watch for over drying on their skin and any signs of dehydration. if you dont already, you might add some ACV to your water to counteract any alkalinity problems - your egg shells will probably get extra thick due to increased calcium absorption.

you will probably have to re-treat and change bedding again in 10 days to get rid of them. if you find it doesn't work, i have some things i can recommend; but they wont be organic.

the chicks are pretty durable, sticking and or getting to hot will probably be your biggest troubles.

Back
Top Bottom