Are they the same???

mcChicken39

Chirping
Oct 23, 2020
australia
hi everyone just looking for help with mites?
so my chickens have scaly leg mites (whitch i've treated) however they also had bugs around their butts to (hundreds).
so my question is are they the same thing, the bugs (mites) in there legs are they the same around there butts? or are they 2 different bugs?
thanks

Not the same, treat butt mites with DE and legs with petroleum jelly.

Hundreds?! sound really bad. They are probably red mites if the are red or grey and they can kill a hen so spray them or wash them off!

Not the same, treat butt mites with DE and legs with petroleum jelly.

Hundreds?! sound really bad. They are probably red mites if the are red or grey and they can kill a hen so spray them or wash them off!

Hi what is DE?
This is what it looks like.

Attachments

• C9330089-7485-4736-9A3C-2DC70849040D.jpeg
    C9330089-7485-4736-9A3C-2DC70849040D.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 6
They do look like lice eggs.

Use permethrin dust or spray, once every 7-10 days for 3 applications.
DE will do little to nothing, despite many believing it will.

Check them over real well for mites and/or lice.
Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Back
Top Bottom