Are Turkeys noisey?

chickens4jojo

Songster
11 Years
May 26, 2008
Upstate South Carolina
I was wondering about this as I would love to try to raise just two of them next spring...but I don't want to offend my neighbors (or possibly even let them know that I have them????!)

Are there any Turkey Owning People out there?
big_smile.png

YES, they are noisy! If your neighbors are at ALL close, there is no way you can have "secret" turkeys.

They gobble--LOUDLY--at the slightest noise or startling sights, and the more of them you have, the louder the noise. Now, their "regular" sounds they make while just roaming around pecking the ground are very soft and sweet. But it doesn't take much more than a slamming door to startle them and have them all "yelling" at you! :eek:

Of course, I don't know anything about the BBW "Butterballs." Maybe they're different?

Oh wow~~Thank you for letting me know. I will not have any turkeys secret or otherwise now! Sounds like they never could be secret any way!

I will just have to buy them at the store~~the nice quiet ones in the freezer that is.....

Thanks again for the advice!
big_smile.png

They also get HUGE, very quickly! Definitely hard to hide.
lol.png

We have a neighbor on one side who's fairly close, and I know he hears our turks, but it's pretty much all country folk out here, and they have a good tolerance of such things. I find the turkeys, even with their outbursts, hilarious and charming. I GUESS it's possible that some other people might not share my point of view.
tongue.png

Just had a thought--the hens don't do the loud "gobble" like the toms, so that might be a possibility for you. If they got too loud you could always sell them easily. The do have this kind of semi-loud "RRR-RRR-RRR" call that they do, but mine only do it when they're free-ranging, like they're hollering for someone. They might not do that in a smaller space?

well i must have been lucky

i had 17 of them an there were / are 8-9 months old i still have 6 left in the run the rest well there be a lot of turkey dinners

anyway sound cool when they all did gobble-- but only a short time like a few seconds and not to often , now my bantams roosters -n- hens well there are noise then the turkeys and egg layers hens now the 7 lg. Rooster we'll there starting to drive me nuts looks like there be MMMMM GOOD very soon

I wouldnt consider them loud by any means. I mean, they do make noise, but nothing like our crowing roosters! And it isnt constant either- ours just seem to want to "talk" to us. They come running over and start "barking" at us-that is what it sounds like to me. We never hear a peep after dark either, so they arent going to be waking anyone up. Maybe there is a difference in breeds though? We have Narrangassetts & Bourbon Red-the Black Spanish we had (but was eaten by a coyote) wasnt partcularly loud either, and he was a tom. Unless you have super easily annoyed neighbors, I would think most would not find them a noise nuisance-unless you had ALOT of them. 2-3 wouldnt be a big deal. Now, the giant turkey poops on their front steps might bug them a bit...

My mature toms that have are very quite and have been so now that breeding is over, they wont strut to often until breeding starts again, i can get them to gobble, but it isnt as easy to as during the breeding season...
However when they come off roost they do strut a little bit, but then thats it.

Now the hens when they see any of us they carry on like crazy and show off for treats.
they run in a hug circle in the pen and fly and get crazy. they are much noisier than the boys right now..

However the Jakes will gobble almost all year long at anything and everthing...LOL

we only kept one jake as i have 3 mature toms..thank goodness

Charlie

Last edited:
You indeed will not keep your neighbors from knowing you have them. No they are not noisey all the time but when they decide to get vocal they can get very loud.

Back
Top Bottom