Are unhatched eggs safe for snakes to eat?

The title gives it away. I’m curious if incubated but unhatched eggs are safe to feed to snakes or other reptiles. It just seems like a sad waste to just throw them out. I will also post this in the incubation thread.
I would NOT feed eggs of unknown quit date to my snake! That's especially true if the snake has always had regular "safe" food. You don't know what its' immunity is like. If you're worried about "wasting" them, bury them in the garden as fertilizer or toss them into the woods for the wild creatures. They won't eat what they shouldn't and the rest will return to the soil. Everyone wins - especially the pet snake that won't get sick from spoiled food!

If you want to feed fresh or newly quit eggs, it's a fascinating process to watch. We had garters and blacks - both egg eaters - and it was pretty neat to see.

Do you know what species of snake? Impossible to say without knowing the species.
No idea.
He did come reply a little later to my email saying his snakes won’t eat eggs! Oh well, lol! I guess I misread his first email. I do like @MROO’s idea of burying them in the garden. That seems very appropriate.

I use unhatched eggs as trainer eggs trying to get pullets to lay in the right place. I mark them so I do not accidentally collect them and when I was hatching I was changing out these trainer eggs every 21 days when I had a new batch of unhatched eggs. Leaving these trainer eggs in a nesting box too long increases the chances of a stinky accident.

Back
Top Bottom