1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are we all sure before I unload "him", "her", need advice!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JodyJo, Jun 13, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Please take a close look at this pic, I have been told roo....I need to know before I get rid of this chicken
    8-9 weeks old...EE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The comb is just starting to come out, can you tell from the pic? Two sides are really pronounced, the center one not so much...and "she" crows, daily, as do the other 2 EE's I have that I KNOW are roos, full on combs on them....

I have also watched "her" go up against the other roos, and hackle all up, you know what I mean! That is what made me start to wonder, saddle feathers?

Help!

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I have never seen a hen of that color. [​IMG]

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I think it's a beautiful girl. Why not wait before rehoming? What a gorgeous bird!

4. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    Just because he doesn't have a big comb and wattles, it is a boy. The legs are for a large bird, he just hasn't grown into them yet. Also if he crows and the hackles flair, it should be obviously male. Hen hackles are short, about an inch, whereas the male hackles are long and go the length of the neck, making a definite ruff when held up. He should be gorgeous when he has his full adult plumage.

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I'm thinking it's a girl too. I've had a couple of hens that were very dominant. Crowed too. I agree, wait awhile longer.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's still a boy. Pullets don't get that color variation (smut) in the wing area. Hackle feathers are pointy as well.

7. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    oh great...50/50 on roo or pullet! Thanks guys!! LOL

I am holding on to all 3 I have...we have to have tryouts for who stays and who goes...as far as looks, they all look tremendously different,
    all will be gorgeous....

Maybe they will make it easy for me to decide...but I am saying roo...I will try to get a pic of the feather "hackling"...

thanks again!

8. MinnerBuckwheat

MinnerBuckwheat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    West Michigan
    Great, I am more confused than ever about a couple of my EEs now! Can someone give a breakdown of what the difference in a roo and hen in the EE's are?? I am probably going to end up reposting mine tonight now. I know 3 of the 6 are hens for sure, so I will post the other 3. I would have thought this one posted here was a hen!

9. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:hear hear....confusion rampant now...I was convinced till "she" crowed, even then I ignored it, pullets can crow...but then the hackle feathers and chest bumping....not sure now! ugh!

10. Night_Wolf_Lofts

Night_Wolf_Lofts Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    New to the forum, but not birds! [​IMG] I am going to say....deffinately a rooster. For some reason a lot of folks have trouble sexing EE's for a while, I have even had trouble, but I would deffiantely say that the bird in question is a roo...but I have been wrong a few times! [​IMG]

Beautiful bird though!

Justin
    Aquatic Wilds
    Night Wolf Lofts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by