Are We Crazy?

CapeReds

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 11, 2011
Sandwich, MA - Cape Cod
My Coop
My Coop
A few of our neighbors have chickens. To them, they are just animals. They have no names and they get no attention and no treats.

We, on the other hand, have eighteen. They all have names. We raised most of them since they were chicks and know the personalities of each. We like to talk to them, pet them and some times just hang out with them. These guys get out of the run daily for free ranging and get lots of treats. My 15 year old son calls it my "Zen garden" because he thinks it puts me at peace. I don't know, I just enjoy them.

Does hanging out with your chickens and talking to them mean that you are "crazy"?

It does not mean you are crazy, all 87 of my chickens have names. Each day when I go outside to feed them I always hold and talk to them
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Nope!
clap.gif

Unless many here are too!

I call it stress relief. Sitting on the bench in the yard watching them interact. They run to me when I get home or go out to let the dogs out. That guilts me into giving them something most of the time. It really is a source of peace just watching them do what they do. Mine free range from sun up to sun down. So sometimes I just look out the window
smile.png

Your neighbors may get something out of them.....you just might not see it. We don't have names for all of ours, but then again, I can't tell the difference in all of my BR's.

Not crazy at all - my husband and I have camp chairs out by the chicken run and we frequently sit down at the end of a long day to watch the show and chill out. We always make sure to have treats for the girls and we often have the whole "family" (dogs, outside cats - but not the horses) surrounding us - everyone just seems so calm and happy when we are with the chickens. There is nothing wrong with caring for these wonderful animals who provide you with eggs and meat.
smile.png

Nope! Not at all. I guess to some people they are 'just chickens', but alot of the people on here love and enjoy them!

I could be your neighbor. I don't name my chickens, although I do bring them kitchen scraps that they consider treats. The only attention they get is when I let them out in the morning, or lock them up at night, unless I happen to be down by the chicken coop to do some other work. That having been said, I do enjoy them. When I go down there, I do pause to watch them interact, love watching the rooster feed treats to his hens. So don't assume they don't get any enjoyment out of them. We all have chickens for our own reasons.
smile.png

Last edited:
Not crazy, just in tune with all those "crazy" chickens.
tongue.png
We sit with, talk to, hold and love our 8 girls. They make us laugh-many times a day. They free-range on about 1/2 acre so there is always something "crazy" happening.

My non-chicken owning friends think I'm crazy...
tongue.png
but the folks here on BYC understand and support the chicken obsession!
celebrate.gif
My girls know and greet me and are always excited to see me!

Back
Top Bottom