Are We Crazy?

I think we're all a little bat poop crazy
wink.png
My neighbors and I differ in the same way. They don't give theirs any attention at all. No names. No coddling. Nothing. I on the other hand adore my chickens and have gone so far as to start naming their chickens
smile.png
They think I'm nuts and it's their fault I even started
lau.gif

I also talk to my chickens and spend a lot of time with them. I also think I am a little crazy.I just don't know how you people get to touch them because they wont let me. They are very wild. They stay in a large area in our backyard..about 300square meters. I give them all the left-over rice, spaghetti, bread etc. They also love the vegetable peals. Yesterday my roosters fought again and the dominance has changed to what it was before. I managed to put the hurt rooster over the fence to seperate him from the other. At dusk he managed to go through the gate, got flogged again. I tried to intervene for the so many..est time and realised that I must be crazy. I should just leave them...they have their ways to sort things out. ..or..maybe not?

I also talk to my chickens and spend a lot of time with them. I also think I am a little crazy.I just don't know how you people get to touch them because they wont let me. They are very wild. They stay in a large area in our backyard..about 300square meters. I give them all the left-over rice, spaghetti, bread etc. They also love the vegetable peals. Yesterday my roosters fought again and the dominance has changed to what it was before. I managed to put the hurt rooster over the fence to seperate him from the other. At dusk he managed to go through the gate, got flogged again. I tried to intervene for the so many..est time and realised that I must be crazy. I should just leave them...they have their ways to sort things out. ..or..maybe not?

If you're crazy, you're most definitely NOT alone.

I've been known to sit IN the coop with them
gig.gif

Don't worry, I have a special cushion to not sit in the poop!
hu.gif

All the neighbour kids come to visit our chickens. I think they must be the most socialized chickens around!
wee.gif

Last edited:
When I was a kid, I loved our chickens. My friend and I even dressed up my "pets" in doll clothes and played with them.
When I was a teen, I was often embarassed by my mother and her chickens & her chicken collection in the house. I thought she was nuts.
When my kids got older, I happened to be at Coastal Farm Supply one spring and they had silkies. They were so cute, I had to get some......and so it began! I have about 50 chickens now. My kids love chickens and even my 19 year old son will pick up his favorite and talk to her. Every year I have chicks living in totes in my house. I'm sure most of my friends and my kid's friends think I'm nuts, but unless you have chickens, I don't think you "get it".
I love to pet and hold them, it makes me feel very calm and relaxed. I think it brings me back to a happy time in my life when I was a kid and life was simple and stress free.
I plan on having chickens for quite awhile!

I'm a bit in the middle of the chickens crazy train spectrum, I guess, though I'm definitely crazy for other reasons.
lol.png
I have some chickens that I name, but there are others that I don't. I also have some I consider pets; I have several that seem to enjoy interaction and many more that will run up to me because they know I bring the food and water but prefer not to be touched. Some of the ones that don't like being handled are still more in the pet category for various reasons: looks, quirky traits they have, and/or other reasons that they stand out to me. Then, I have some that fall more in the "just" chickens category in that they lay tasty eggs, but I don't have any particular attachment to them. I like to watch them all, however, as it can be extremely entertaining seeing them interacting with each other and going about their daily chicken business.

At our house, it's called stress relief, just to go out and sit with the chickens. After a bit, you will find yourself covered with them, they love to sit and cuddle. Very Zen. Hard to stay upset when one is covered in chickens!

My parents thought my SO and I were crazy for talking to and petting our chickens. To them they grew up where you just had chickens and let them run around. The chickens even slept up in the trees. To me however they were my pets and I always thought about what treats to give them.

Back
Top Bottom