Are We Crazy?

Call me Crazy then. I so look forward to going out to see my girls. My hubby gets almost as excited to see how many eggs we may get each day, he loves feeding them BOSS, and sitting down to talk with them.

I also get the guilt trip, when I go out without treats & will go back in to find them a snack.

But I also did the same with my Koi & Goldfish, they all had names, and personalities and if I wiggled my fingers in the water, my Koi would come over & suck on my fingers. I would get them a bunch of watercress, and in 15 min all that was left was stems, and I only had 4 Koi, and 6 Goldfish, even my trapdoor snails had names.

I would rather hang out with crazy chicken people than people with no pets at all.

Atleast it's only your neighbours that think you're crazy, my own husband thinks I'm nuts!
gig.gif
Our keep is quite near our back door and often I go out to take them treats, scraps, or just to check on them and I'll pick them up and have a conversation with them and when I turn to come in I see DH standing at the door with a paniced look on his face
lau.gif
I agree with PP, unless you want/have chickens, you just don't 'get it'. We went and picked up four more silkie hens the other night and came home with four more silkie hens and two barn kittens...
he.gif
Apparently I also suffer from cat math.

every book I read on raising chickens said don't name them, they will turn more into pets.... I did.. and they are!!!

Different people treat their chickens differently. You're not crazy -- they're your pets.

I treat my chickens as working animals. They're for eggs and meat. I do have names for some of them and several have personalities, but I have other animals as pets. Still, I do enjoy watching them and they are entertaining.

D.gif
My husband and daughter think I am absolutely crazy, I go out to feed my crew every morning ( I have 3 roo's and 9 hens) and after doling out their fresh veggies and fruit, which I chop up finely, I sit in their run or coop now, because the weather up here in Northern Alberta, Canada is getting cold and just talk to my chickens. When I am not feeling good or stressed my little feathered family make me feel good each and every time I am out there. My husband and daughter don't get it, but on the up side, I have seen my daughter (age 19) go out into their run and sit out there for a while. And she thinks I'm crazy. All my chickens have names, In Sept 2010 I got a white silkie chick from my g/f and had really hoped it to be a girl, but she turned into a he and his name is Silkie-boy, since I hand raised him he is my little man roo. July 2011 received 5 more hen (or so I though) ended up with Goldie-girl, Lil Friz and Flighty Whitey, and 2 roo's, Magoo and Hawkeye, again in Aug 2011 I received 5 more hen this time, Raven, Inkie, Big bad Bertha, Beep-Beep, and Brownie. I also have another hen names Holly, how is partially blind, I keep her in her own coop that sits up top of the nexting boxes in the crews coop. Cause of Holly's disability she gets more attention.
When I talk to my friends and family about the chickens they listen to all my stories and then tell me That I am crazy and that they are Just chickens. To me any animal that comes into my life is special and is treated as such. I am the proud owner of 2 large dogs, Cleo and Buddy, 4 cats, Kiwi, Onyx, Sweetums, and Ollie and of course all my feathered friends outside in the run/coop, and last but not least Bugsey the bunny that lives with my chickens!

Well, I certainly am happy and feel better having company.

We kind of think some of the reaction is funny and just shrug it off. Oh well, it's too bad - They might be happier if they had a bit of that in their lives.

Add one more crazy person to the mix. I just got in from sitting in the coop with mine and carrying on a conversation with 3 ladies who baulked at me the whole time.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom