Are you a fan of production hens or not? If not, why?

Are you a fan of production hens or not?

• Yes

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 79.2%

• Total voters
I too have Golden Comets and while I've raised a plethora of different breeds of chickens in the past, this is my first round with GCs. So far, so good - knock on wood!! I haven't had any health issues whatsoever. Taking into consideration the fact that they are egg laying machines, I've been very mindful with what I feed them - no junk food or table scraps. Everything I feed them has a purpose aimed at their immune systems. I've found that they seem to thrive when given a little more protein, calcium, etc. than what you'd give a non-hybrid layer. That's just been my experience thus far. With all of that said, the ONLY issue I've had with them is they are too trusting and sweet which, makes it difficult to free-range them because they are more curious than afraid.
Yes, they are sweet birds. How old are your golden comets?

I currently have golden comets and I've noticed that although they are great layers they seem to have a lot of health problems. Mine are almost at the two year mark and two of my five GC are not laying. The ones that are laying do not lay the best quality of eggs anymore. The two that aren't laying have dealt with messy bum feathers as well as the secretion of yellowish liquid from their vents (egg laying issues?) this past summer/fall. I was wondering if other chicken owners have had similar experiences with production hens?
I’ve had issues with golden comets as well. A lot of them get reproductive issues early on which can also be tied to crop problems.
not something I like, especially since I don’t eat enough eggs to keep up with them anyways.

I've had only two production hens, marketed as Amber-Whites. They started laying early, molted late, and laid nearly an egg a day. Neither of them lived to be much over three; they died within a year of each other. I like the older breeds, like Wyandottes and Rhode Island Reds. My four-year-old SLW is my only older hen laying right now, an egg every other day or so.

Expect production breeds to live about 2-3 years. They're fine for farmers who rotate their flocks and cull regularly, but not so nice for most backyard chicken keepers.

I've had more Easter Eggers than any breed and they've had the least amount of health issues. They lay a decent amount of eggs and continue to do so for 6+ years.

Back
Top Bottom