Are you a fan of production hens or not? If not, why?

Are you a fan of production hens or not?

• Yes

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 79.2%

• Total voters

Farmlife16

Songster
Aug 12, 2021
I currently have golden comets and I've noticed that although they are great layers they seem to have a lot of health problems. Mine are almost at the two year mark and two of my five GC are not laying. The ones that are laying do not lay the best quality of eggs anymore. The two that aren't laying have dealt with messy bum feathers as well as the secretion of yellowish liquid from their vents (egg laying issues?) this past summer/fall. I was wondering if other chicken owners have had similar experiences with production hens?

Production varieties aren't bred for longevity. They are bred for maximum production over a two year period. Which is fine, if that is what you are looking for and you don't mind culling sick birds.

But personally I grow attached to my layers, and want them to live long, happy lives. I'm satisfied with any breed that lays over 150 eggs a year rather than 280 eggs a year. Easter eggers, Ameraucanas, heritage Rhode Island reds, Chanteclers and so many more fit the bill nicely. If I had to have a production variety I would choose black sex links any day over red sex links.

I don’t dislike the individual bird of a production breed, and would love any chicken in my flock. However I don’t like supporting the increase in productivity of eggs which causes internal issues for so many of those birds. For that reason, I try to stick with heritage breeds with the occasional olive or Easter Egger (hybrid but not a production breed). We purposely have more chickens than we need of various varieties, so hopefully molting and breaks will occur at different times. My aunt had a 10 year old barred rock that still laid an egg a week before she died. I would rather less weekly eggs but lay over a long period of time and stay healthy.

Back
Top Bottom