Are you a fan of production hens or not? If not, why?

Are you a fan of production hens or not?

• Yes

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 79.2%

• Total voters
I'm not a fan of them at all.
Because they lay so many eggs they are more prone to health issues, especially reproduction ones. I've dealt with many illnesses with high production breeds.
X2

Though, I've only got one currently, & gonna cull.

I only have one girl that is 100% production, my Calico Princess. Super friendly and lays great even at 3. Only health issues I've noticed is lots of meat spots, nearly every egg, amd her chicks fail to be healthy. So no breeding her, but she hasn't shown any issues of health herself besides the the meatspots

Expect production breeds to live about 2-3 years. They're fine for farmers who rotate their flocks and cull regularly, but not so nice for most backyard chicken keepers.

I've had more Easter Eggers than any breed and they've had the least amount of health issues. They lay a decent amount of eggs and continue to do so for 6+ years.

Expect production breeds to live about 2-3 years. They're fine for farmers who rotate their flocks and cull regularly, but not so nice for most backyard chicken keepers.

I've had more Easter Eggers than any breed and they've had the least amount of health issues. They lay a decent amount of eggs and continue to do so for 6+ years.
Easter eggers are excellent. Mine have always been healthy and good layers.

I only have one girl that is 100% production, my Calico Princess. Super friendly and lays great even at 3. Only health issues I've noticed is lots of meat spots, nearly every egg, amd her chicks fail to be healthy. So no breeding her, but she hasn't shown any issues of health herself besides the the meatspots
Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom