Are you a fan of production hens or not? If not, why?

Are you a fan of production hens or not?

• Yes

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 79.2%

• Total voters
Expect production breeds to live about 2-3 years. They're fine for farmers who rotate their flocks and cull regularly, but not so nice for most backyard chicken keepers.

I've had more Easter Eggers than any breed and they've had the least amount of health issues. They lay a decent amount of eggs and continue to do so for 6+ years.
Easter eggers are excellent. Mine have always been healthy and good layers.

But be warned of the newbie Easter eggers like starlight green eggers. These are bred with production varieties and will wear out faster than the older type of bearded Easter eggers. It's really hit or miss with all the newbies, depending on the parentage.
Thanks! Very good to know. I get the "Ameraucanas" from my local feed store.

Not a fan. I mostly have chickens as pets so I don't like the health issues and tendency to be unfriendly to humans and aggressive with other breeds. Out of 2 of my first hens who were Cinnamon Queens, one was very sweet and died of cancer in summer 2021, the other was a nasty bossy lady and earlier in the fall this year she suddenly started acting ill and disappeared the next day, presumably succumbing to the same illness as the first. She hadn't laid for some time as far as I know. Three and four years old respectively. Not hoping to jinx anything (🧿) but my Brahmas of the same age are still alive and healthy, and lay a bit.

Not a fan. I mostly have chickens as pets so I don't like the health issues and tendency to be unfriendly to humans and aggressive with other breeds. Out of 2 of my first hens who were Cinnamon Queens, one was very sweet and died of cancer in summer 2021, the other was a nasty bossy lady and earlier in the fall this year she suddenly started acting ill and disappeared the next day, presumably succumbing to the same illness as the first. She hadn't laid for some time as far as I know. Three and four years old respectively. Not hoping to jinx anything (🧿) but my Brahmas of the same age are still alive and healthy, and lay a bit.
Thanks for your feedback!

I've had Isa Browns in the past. They are sweet and lay well. But, once they hit 2, I started losing them. One lived to about 3, but by then she wasn't consistently laying. They also tend to have more egg laying issues than the average chicken. From what I've read about other hybrids, it's the same - sweet, but expect a short life.

Back
Top Bottom