Are You Chicken Obsessed?? Are You Sure??

Guilty! Every outbuilding looks like a coop. Yesterday I was at my local Good Will for senior citizens day and looking for anything I could use for the chickens. Labor Day I put away all my baby chick stuff. Pine shavings, feeders, heat lamp, etc. Yesterday I found I have a chance to get some baby banties. What to do? I thought I was out of the baby business. Hubby says we will find room. Yes, I am obsessed.
Gram

Definitely obsessed here. I thought I wanted 2 or 3 chickens. I now have 29 adult birds, 6 nine-week old birds, and nine 1-week-old birds, and a bunch of eggs in the 'bator, and bids on 2 sets of eggs on eggbid. And a request on some salmon faverolle eggs on here.

Everything I see seems to have potential as a coop. I just bought a dog run from Craig's List for $25 that is a 12 by 7 foot chain link run, 6 foot tall. An awesome chicken run! I need to cover the top with netting still.

Oh, and since I am the breadwinner of the family and DH basically lives off my income except for his gas and incidentals and feed for his goats, he doesn't have a word to say about it.
tongue.png

And he builds me whatever I ask him to, which is super. So it all works out.

Definitely obsessed.

always more room,,,,always more coops,,,,always more wire,,,more blocks,,,,more posts,,,,gggeeessshhhh,,,it is a never ending cycle,,,,just finish one,,,,and your already planning the next,,,, And we'd be lost if it wasn't for those DH's,,,, they help support us most of the time,,, they jump in there and help build it up,,,watchin over us girls,,,,,it doesn't matter who pays for it,,, as long as the girls at home are happy,,,,,Bless Their Hearts,,,,
lau.gif
D.gif
D.gif

I know this is an old thread by I am soooo glad I read it. I mentioned to my husband a couple years ago that I'd like to raise chickens one day. Because he's such an amazing husband he went out and bought me a chicken coop, but at the time there was just so much going on in our lives that I knew I couldn't start keeping chickens yet. Less than a month ago that all suddenly changed. I don't know what triggered it, but suddenly I just HAD to have chickens. I just started my first flock of ten chicks - 4 Australorps, 3 Barred Rocks and 3 Silkies...and it's just not enough. The oldest of them, the Australorps, are closing in on six weeks of age...nowhere near laying age...but I find myself constantly shopping hatchery sites, Craig's List, and actual feed stores looking for my next breed purchase. I constantly read reviews from both here and other online sites, and have a stack of books that I read, re-read, and re-read again....just in case I glazed over something that might prove important to know. And now I've advised my husband that the shed he built when we first moved into our house simply contains things we haven't even looked at in ten years and it would make a PERFECT coop...with a couple modifications...once we clean it out.

I'm building a large, enclosed 6-foot tall run right now.

Fencing in my 1/2 - full acre back yard so they can free range.

Planting a winter garden for fresh green feed (for us too, not just the chickens...but mainly the chickens).

Planning multiple "breeding" coops to help preserve some rare species (Buckeyes and Dorkings).

OMG! I could go on forever! Last night my husband finally said, "Why don't you wait until you start collecting eggs from these chickens before getting others?" I'm seriously worried about his sanity.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom