Are you from Costa Rica too?

Art, Playa Chiquita is on the southern Caribbean coast near Puerto Viejo de Talamanca.

Has anyone in CR run across Penedesenca chickens? Preferably Black Penedesenca. They are supposed to be uncommon but available in central and south America. There is even a standard in Argentina.

Has anyone in CR run across Penedesenca chickens?
Sorry, I do not know of these chickens, there are some special breeds here but with my very poor Spanish I don't know enough to ask around. Before there were restrictions on bringing in livestock there were many different breeds of chickens brought in. I'm just trying to build a good flock of egg layers by selection from hens I have and the eggs they lay. The silkie hens do a great job of hatching any egg place under them.

To all of us in Costa Rica. We have had many Banty chickens & lost many for one reason or another. I am new to raising chickens (about 18 mos ago). We will soon be down to one hen. I will get more when the coop gets cleaned out from all previous users. We inherited it from the owners (we are leasing).

I would like to stay with Banty hens but will get more from friends. They have large coop yards-about 4 of them. The last one is where the grey water runs down the back yd & keeps the plants all nice & green so we made a connecting pen there. I no longer let them run because never knew where the eggs where & I worried about them & they got into the gardens & churned up the soil where I had planted. It was too hard on me.

We have some homemade peanut butter with olive oil I thought I would see if Big Mama would eat it-as a treat now/then. We are not eating it so will try it on her.

I would like to stay in touch with the CR people and if anyone finds stuff here for a homemade feed recipe I would be very interested.

Thank you all so much,
Salli

Hello from Sarchi Sur; Salli

We have one Banty hen(Big Mama) (don't know what breed-she has brown feathers) and one full size hen(Queenie).

These 2 get along great; are the best buddies. Big Mama follows Queenie wherever she goes and Queenie makes sure Big Mama gets enough to eat.

I am just wondering if there are more Banty hens in CR as I have not been able to get an answer.

Not sure if I want to rock the boat with a 3rd Banty but if something happens to BM I would then be looking.

They free range in their own secured pastures. I feed them fermented cracked corn/mash plus veggies thrown in; some tuna/cat food/dog food (all in small amounts). Queenie is a hog-she eats a lot but gives us eggs each day.

You are not that far away from us and maybe someday we can visit.

Salli

There are several types of Bantam hens here in Costa Rica including Silkies which are good layers as well as mamas. You just have to ask around in your area or check at the local feed stores and sometimes the vets have chickens/bantams. We no longer have chickens, too many with too many chores.

Thank you so much for your reply.
I did not know that Silkies were Bantams.
I am going by the Banties that were here when we moved in. I just know they are smaller than the regular size hens.

Do you know where can I find the names of other Bantams that might be here?

Thanks again, Salli

Hello Salli,

There are chicken fanciers here that would know what is available.I learned from a neighbor but they have moved away so I no longer have any contacts. Again I would ask at a local feed store or at a good veterinary office. Are you a member of the CRL (Costa Rica Living) yahoo group? There were and probably folks on there that would know who and where, maybe even have phone numbers if your Spanish is better than mine. I live north of San Ramon and know of one fellow who might have some bantams, if I find his card I will send you a message.

The Costa Rica Gardening Yahoo group may be another source of information. But now that I think about it, I asked about Penedesencas on there and didn't get a response.

Back
Top Bottom