Are you kidding me?

Over time, my drake will look something like this...
rouen%20drake.jpg

Girls will look like this...
rouen%20duck.jpg

Yeah, they are beasts...LOL....but very beautiful ones. My boy is kind of shy, but very good to his little girlfriend and now he is hanging with my older runner too. I haven't introduced him to the new welsh harlequin babies yet. I am waiting for some sunshine before I take them out of the brooder.

ya know, The more I sit ad ponder this, lol I think they are Rouens. Last night wile taking pics, I notice some blue on the feathers... So maybe thats what they are.

Now my question is do I need to worry about clipping wings? I really do not want them leaving, as we live way out and there are way to many cats, dogs, wild animals etc.. Besides how upset I would be if they didnt come back!! Again thanks so much for everyones help!

do I need to worry about clipping wings?

Heck no! These guys are WAY too heavy to fly for their wing span. A lot of domestic ducks are like that. Khaki Campbells, Runners, Welsh Harlequins.... they all might be able to get a couple of feet off the ground for a few seconds, but generally they fly as well as a brick.​

Quote:
Heck no! These guys are WAY too heavy to fly for their wing span. A lot of domestic ducks are like that. Khaki Campbells, Runners, Welsh Harlequins.... they all might be able to get a couple of feet off the ground for a few seconds, but generally they fly as well as a brick.

lau.gif
Good to know!

Quote:
Heck no! These guys are WAY too heavy to fly for their wing span. A lot of domestic ducks are like that. Khaki Campbells, Runners, Welsh Harlequins.... they all might be able to get a couple of feet off the ground for a few seconds, but generally they fly as well as a brick.

lau.gif
Good to know!

haha yep! sometimes if they try REALLY REALLY REALLY hard and JUMP they can kind of glide back to the ground while flapping the live out of them! it looks rather funny. people always ask why my pekins don't fly. i tell them they're too fat, they procede to tell me if they can't fly they aren't ducks! haha okay then.
gig.gif

theres domestic mallards that AREN'T illegal to own. I have a pair got from Tractor Supply, who bought htem from Mt Healthy Hatchery (if I rememeber the hatchery name correctly). Anywho... the difference between them and wild mallards is they were aquired from domestic stock...they weigh less than Rouens but more than wild mallards among with other ways to tell them apart that I dont remember right now.

Back
Top Bottom