Are you Prepared?

Quote:
Exacly.
thumbsup.gif
And you have a bunch of kids to feed, too, don't you?
smile.png
Forest fires and floods may be the most common disaster in some parts of the county, but really, that may mean nothing to most of us.

Edited- How do you spell that word, anyway? Exacly- I can never get it to look right!
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Mahoni, you scare me with your wisdom, but I agree 110%. Starting my second pantry this month. I have a huge closet I am cleaning out and packing it full throughout this year. The only thing i worry about, other than having food and water for my 9 year old and my family members and dear friends, is all the medications my husband takes. 13 pills and two types of insulin. Without some of these, he will not survive, and its a scary thought to think how we would manage that. . .

Quote:
I was wondering about gasoline. We have a generator, but no tank like all the farms use to have in the day to store a large amount. It's a hazard, so how could you store it safely for a long period of time? Plastic is best, I would think, because I know the metal storage cans have debris that eventually line the bottom of the cans . . .

Quote:
I was wondering about gasoline. We have a generator, but no tank like all the farms use to have in the day to store a large amount. It's a hazard, so how could you store it safely for a long period of time? Plastic is best, I would think, because I know the metal storage cans have debris that eventually line the bottom of the cans . . .

The biggest problem with storing gasoline is the fact that it does not keep for very long. You need to get an additive to keep it from gelling, or congealing, or whatever it does. LOL I would store it is plastic cans, and not in your house at all.

Folks - this is a good discussion; please remember to stay on topic and NO TROLLING comments, or it'll be closed. Have a great day!

Last edited:
Quote:

The biggest problem with storing gasoline is the fact that it does not keep for very long. You need to get an additive to keep it from gelling, or congealing, or whatever it does. LOL I would store it is plastic cans, and not in your house at all.

That was what I was thinking too, NOT the basement. KABOOM. Then, no one around my entire little area would have to worry about the end of the US as we once knew it!!!

Another thought . . . I don't want to depend upon electricity for freezers and the like. Will putting beans, rice, etc. in glass jars with maybe a saran wrap cover then a tight lid keep it fresh for several months? I would love to learn how to can meat, but I don't know anyone who does that anymore. . .maybe we could start a meat canning thread with some of the experts on here.

Quote:
There is a cannery in Naperville where you can "can" wheat, dried milk, rice, beans... lots of stuff.

to can meat get the Ball Blue Book on canning and you would need a pressure CANNER (not a pressure cooker).

This thread has been very interesting, I dont think that any amount of preparedness would help in some instances, say the total climate change or shifting of the axis of the earth as some say is going to happen in 2012. But it never hurts to be prepared for somethings. I think that some of what prettiest frog spoke of is true. If a disaster of some magnatude hit that could potentially wipe out your stash, then what. I think the best way to always be prepared is to know HOW to survive...as Boyd said do you have a water source you can use. Also do you know how to grow crops of any kind to live on and raise a bit of live stock and be able to feed that live stock with out going to the feed store? Can you hunt? Those are the things that a person should be thinking about along with stocking up to make it through. IMO
This kind of thread always gets my mind working on what I COULD do differently to help my family survive.
Thanks OP

Generally, if you can keep them dry, the biggest problem you will have with dry goods is bugs. Really not a problem. Pick them out or eat them, they won't hurt you. If they are eating all of the foodm that is another story, but if you have a few mealworms in your grain, just feed them to your chickens. If you are hungry they won't matter.

I think you could even store large amounts in rubbermaid or other plastic tubs, if you have a very dry place to keep them and they are airtight. (I have seen some with holes by the handles) You can also keep them in five-gallon buckets, if you can find them with air-tight lids. If you just have small amounts I would say that jars would be fine.

I was wondering about flour, since it has to be kept SO dry. I don't know how it would work.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom