Are you Pro-Gun because of predators?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Amen, sista! But, don't be so sure that some of these bad dog owners are providing ample food; perhaps many of these marauding dogs are under similar pressure as other predators. After all, if the irresponsible owners don't care enough to keep their dogs safe at home, I'm not sure I believe they care enough to feed them much, either.

Point taken.
One solution might be to put out dry dog food and see if that reduces predation... Or, you might just call all the players to the scene. Of course predator don't typically tolerate each other and that might be the most effective way of keeping them all wary of each other and not interested in bothering your chooks.

Another good reason I don't shoot to kill! Coyotes to me are the WORST. They killed my childhood dog, a full sized retriever, and I've never really gotten over that, but I've found an unlikely ally in our coyote problem.
Coyotes are territorial animals, and they're not dumb. We laid the law down with the alpha- every time we saw him, whether he was hunting or cutting through, a few rounds of paint and a loud noise (sometimes a battle charge too), even if there was no chance of hitting him. He learned where we consider our territory, and where we don't care about his presence, and that we will attack him when he crosses that line. He has enough things to eat leisurely in the woods that he isn't going to risk the pain and ire of entering hostile territory for a chicken, and those woodland creatures he eats are the skunks and possum and raccoons that I wouldn't like around anyways. As long as I'm scarier than he is hungry, we're both winning, and I doubt they'll be looking hard for food for quite some time.

I also think the argument "I have guns because it's my RIGHT to have them!" is a bit of a cop-out and hurts the image of gun owners a lot of times. Don't misconstrue my words, I may be unlikely to use a gun, but I fully support our right to own them. There's a difference between right and reason though, and I honestly don't think you got a gun just because it's not forbidden- I have the right to do a lot of things I choose not to do, like I have the right to pee my pants, but I have good reasons for not doing that. I bet you have good reasons why you DO choose to exercise this particular right- hunting, defense, hobby target shooting, whatever.
If we're going to convince anti-gun people that a gun is a useful tool we have to tell them it is, and why, not just get defensive and yell "CAUSE I CAN, THATS WHY!", or they'll never understand why they should reconsider their views. It's better and more effective to be pleasant and informative, an ambassador of your viewpoint, than to try and change someone's mind by telling them how wrong they are.

On that note, I don't like how this thread has seemingly shifted from a conversation on people's point of view to thinly veiled personal attacks from both sides trying to prove the other is somehow a bad person for having different opinions, so I am done commenting here. If you like guns, awesome! If you don't like guns, awesome! We all agree that we don't want our chickens eaten, and we're all doing the best we can to make sure they're safe in our own way, so let's be a little kinder.

Quote:
That most certainly is NOT the construction of my case. It is your misinterpretation of my case. Of course, I don't equate dogs and rocks, but hey, thats's just me. For goodness sakes', what a stretch, a dog is NOT a dog owner's proxy. Seriously?! Wow.

I apologize, that was a poor analogy. A rock is an inanimate object, once thrown Newton takes over. It is locked on a specific path, once loosed, and will do a predictable amount of damage at a specific point of impact. A dog is an animate object and unpredictable once loosed. It may well sit when I tell it to and act perfectly fine as the wife calls around to see whose it is, and then it bites our grandson when he tries to pet it. How am I to know? Who is the responsible authority that allowed that dog to arrive at our coop?

When a dog, under the `authority/command' of the owner, retrieves a newspaper or a quail and returns it to the owner it is, indeed, acting as the owner's proxy. You argue that once this `agent' of the owner is killed, it becomes the responsibility of the shooter, to report to the owner all that transpired in order that the shooter's civility won't be questioned, or condemned. So, not only does the shooter have to shoot and clean up his/her dead flock, that same shooter has to report to the offending agent's ultimate authority, in order to earn respect?

A coward shirks their responsibility, so, I'd suggest setting up a blog to instruct the owners of dogs on the potential consequences of their not reigning in their rogue agents (does that work better than proxy, for ya?). It would be time better spent. The shooter is the aggrieved party, keep it in mind when spinning out opinions on the quality of the shooter's decisions about what they do, on their property. The only judgment about character that I'd hazard to make is to consider them pragmatic utilitarians, e.g., I don't waste my time burying them, I just deliver them to the turkey vulture feeding station - hate to waste the meat... Which brings me back to the subject at hand...

Hunt down an old Remington Nylon 66 (pref. a model made before they moved the manufacture of them to Brazil). It weighs 4.5lb. fully loaded with 15 rounds, effortless to hold on point, and will spit out all 15 between 5 & 8 seconds (really likes to eat hypervelocity ammo). It is an excellent tool for whatever you purpose it to, out to 125yds. One only has to swab/brush the barrel and, every ten years or so, flake a bit of carbon from the injector/sear. Good tools, amen.

The dog is most certainly NOT, by any legal (and frankly, logical) definition, the proxy of the owner, nor is the dog an agent of the owner. That's an absurd application of the concepts of proxy and agency. YES, as I have repeatedly noted, I feel that the shooter, if shooting is absolutely necessary and truly the only available means of protection, should own what he/she did. YES I feel strongly that the "shovel and shut up" aspects of the unsavory SSS is indeed extremely cowardly. I actually feel that 'cowardly' is the kindest word I can use here on this forum; elsewhere, I'd choose other words. I won't comment further in this thread, I've made my opinion quite clear and an argument consisting of misunderstood and misapplied definitions won't in the least bit alter my views on this topic. Onward to more pleasant chicken chatter.

Last edited:
Quote:
I love it when people like you resort to derogatory name calling to make your point. I think that clearly shows how weak your position is.

Rednecky is an adjective. It isn't "name calling". Moreover, I firmly believe my choice of adjective is apt, and my opinion hasn't waivered. Further, my position is very strong. I expect you feel that your position is equally strong. That happens in debates such as these.
wink.png

Redneck is a term of derision plain & simple.

Quote:
I am pro gun, love mine
love.gif

I am going to disagree with the comment about SSS though
hmm.png
. We have gone through 6, yes 6 years of hell over a dog and its still alive!! Neighbor stole our dog and we took it back( long story, but he was supposed to bring the dog to visit his friend). He wouldn't give him back so we took it, then returned him to the breeder(he was a hunting dog with strong drive but dh didn't hunt rabbit, and he was bored not working). Anyway, this man vandalized us and tormented our children for 3 yrs until he tried running my kids over. Still an ongoing problem as he is unstable. If we just said "what dog? You lost the dog???" We would have saved ourselves tons of grief, money, trouble...
somad.gif
... so if the time ever comes for us to SSS, you bet your sweet grit we will say "what dog?"
smack.gif

BTW, dh and I aren't rednecks
wink.png
we are city folk who moved to the country to raise their kids
big_smile.png

If the everyday Joe acted mature, rational and sane then I would have no problem explaining my actions BUT the huge majority will want and think they are entitled to revenge and will act upon that. Whether you have the legal right to shoot won't matter, they will retaliate and unless you video tape it good luck getting the police or anyone else to help you...

It is the rare story that you would hear of someone saying "you shot my dog, I KNOW I WAS WRONG in letting him run loose and it is ALL MY FAULT" . Reality is, " YOU SHOT MY DOG, MY KIDS PET, YOU WILL PAY!" OR "YOU BETTER WATCH YOUR BACK AND YOUR OWN DOG, HE BETTER NOT COME NEAR THE PROPERTY LINE! or the one I got while walking my other dog on her leash" IF I EVER SEE THAT DOG I'M GONNA SHOOT IT! and I swear he muttered something about shooting me too as he drove away. Yeah, honesty is a great thing
roll.png

Are you saying that the Maine prosecutor's office has refused to step in on an attempted murder of children??????

Ummm, in short? Yes, because no "unrelated adult" saw it
hmm.png
don't even get me going down this...that is why I mentioned video taping.... still, tell me you would have a rational person on your doorstep ...

EMaker wrote:

The dog is most certainly NOT, by any legal (and frankly, logical) definition, the proxy of the owner, nor is the dog an agent of the owner. That's an absurd application of the concepts of proxy and agency. YES, as I have repeatedly noted, I feel that the shooter, if shooting is absolutely necessary and truly the only available means of protection, should own what he/she did. YES I feel strongly that the "shovel and shut up" aspects of the unsavory SSS is indeed extremely cowardly. I actually feel that 'cowardly' is the kindest word I can use here on this forum; elsewhere, I'd choose other words. I won't comment further in this thread, I've made my opinion quite clear and an argument consisting of misunderstood and misapplied definitions won't in the least bit alter my views on this topic. Onward to more pleasant chicken chatter

Well, I'm done trying to fathom your lesson in `civility'. The fact is, you are entitled to your opinion. Your opinion on how best to prevent or suppress predation is most appreciated. Your judgment on the `moral' quality of a person's `full service' disposal of a dead dog is irrelevant to this forum and, as reminded you of in my first post, against the rules. `cowardly rednecky' ?

Suggest a good brand of shovel, that would be helpful.

Yes, I agree, more pleasantly utilitarian tools to protect the flock (also serves as DW's squirrel gun):

262_r22.jpg

Quote:
Well, I'm done trying to fathom your lesson in `civility'. The fact is, you are entitled to your opinion. Your opinion on how best to prevent or suppress predation is most appreciated. Your judgment on the `moral' quality of a person's `full service' disposal of a dead dog is irrelevant to this forum and, as reminded you of in my first post, against the rules. `cowardly rednecky' ? Suggest a good brand of shovel, that would be helpful.

Yes, I agree, more pleasantly utilitarian tools to protect the flock (also serves as DW's squirrel gun):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/262_r22.jpg

My judgment is part of my opinion and since SSS is mentioned on the forum, isn't at all irrelevant. Again, the words 'corwardly' and 'rednecky' are ADJECTIVES, and thus are not againt the rules. I'm sorry, but not surprised, that my position (not lesson) on civility has been so difficult for you to comprehend, but that's of no matter to me. Good day!
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Are you saying that the Maine prosecutor's office has refused to step in on an attempted murder of children??????

Ummm, in short? Yes, because no "unrelated adult" saw it
hmm.png
don't even get me going down this...that is why I mentioned video taping
.... still, tell me you would have a rational person on your doorstep ...

Absolutely outlandish! If I were you, I'd pursue this issue up the ladder at the DA's office. There are many crimes against children that don't require the witness of an unrelated adult. Attempted murder should be one of them! This is shocking, and I think you can get a better result if you continue.

Quote:
Well, I'm done trying to fathom your lesson in `civility'. The fact is, you are entitled to your opinion. Your opinion on how best to prevent or suppress predation is most appreciated. Your judgment on the `moral' quality of a person's `full service' disposal of a dead dog is irrelevant to this forum and, as reminded you of in my first post, against the rules. `cowardly rednecky' ? Suggest a good brand of shovel, that would be helpful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/262_r22.jpg

My judgment is part of my opinion and since SSS is mentioned on the forum, isn't at all irrelevant. Again, the words 'corwardly' and 'rednecky' are ADJECTIVES, and thus are not againt the rules. I'm sorry, but not surprised, that my position (not lesson) on civility has been so difficult for you to comprehend, but that's of no matter to me. Good day!
lol.png

I thought you weren't going to comment further?

I am pro 2nd Amendment,defender of all others. Brave men and women have died fighting for these freedoms we enjoy. Freedoms that we take lightly sometimes. I dont own guns because its "my right". I own guns because I learned to hunt at an early age as well as target shoot. Hunting is not about the kill as it is the experience of it. The harvesting is a by-product and one of the earliest forms of self-sufficiency. We being chicken raisers can relate to that. I own guns because I want to and am afforded the freedom to do so as well as the other freedoms provided by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. And am grateful for them.

On to the subject of dispatching of predators in for-mentioned posts. Well I would not have a problem killing a wild predator and would do so without trepidation. I have had not to do so as of yet but have pictures of coyotes going through my yard on the trail cam. Whether it be coyote,fox,raccoon or what have you,I have spent alot on this chicken thing and will do what it takes to defend them.

On domestic predators is where it gets fuzzy. I guess I would not kill a neighbors dog or cat without fair warning after seeing them caught in the act. I would tell said neighbor that the next time I catch their pet in or around the coop its lights out,to please restrain your animal. I would also inform animal control as to my intentions. My town being a farming town the animal can be considered a nuisance animal. Granted you open yourself up if the dog goes missing even if it were not at your hands. But there are animal control laws and if you fail to comply with them I will feel no sympathy either way.But if a dog were to threaten or attack any of my children or myself,thats a deal breaker,there will be no second chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom