Are you Pro-Gun because of predators?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an avid supporter of the 2nd amendment and its intent. Which would put me in the pro gun category. Probably even into the gun nut classification since I'm into NFA items and build silencers as a hobby. I can afford silencers and short barreled rifles but full automatics are out of my price range. e.g. an M16 transferable lower receiver would run between $15K and $20K. Contrary to what most people think, silencers, short barreled shotguns, and full automatic weapons are 100% legal to own if you're willing to do the paperwork.

For this years predator problems I picked up a CMMG dedicated .22 long rifle upper and built up a spare AR-15 lower for it. I then topped it off with a run of the mill ATN Gen1+ night vision scope and the predator problem has lessened measurably.

I love guns.
63768_gun-collection4.jpg

Quote:
Drug house or not, if I shot your dog, I'm going to tell you it's dead. It's the least I can do.
There is ALWAYS the risk of retaliation to your property, livestock and family when you shoot someone's pet. It's one of the risks you accept pulling a trigger- ending a life has consequences, and you have to be prepared to handle them.
I grew up a dirty punk rocker, and I still pretty much fit the bill (tattoos, neon hair, funny wardrobe, weird music taste), so I'm sure a lot of the more conservative element has pinned me as a drug user, even though I'm not. All my weird looking friends come over, and my husband works really odd hours, so maybe they think this is a "drug house". Would I still expect someone to come tell me if they shot my dog? YES. I've known a lot of drug addicts, and a lot of hot-headed people in general. Showing up at anyone's door being like "I shot your stupid mean dog! It was being a monster!" is always going to fan the flames, drugs or not, even if it WAS being a monster. A genuine "I am so sorry, I had no other choice since it was trying to kill my pets and wouldn't stop when I tried yelling and throwing things, please let me help dig a grave" is going to smooth over a lot of tension, and if you're shoveling, who cares where?

In part because I look so strange, I'm pretty well known around town. I'm happy to say my reputation (with most, but like I said, some judge too quickly) is as the woman who has a giant soft spot for outcast animals, and always has a car full of dogs, and it just so happens she dresses funny. If there's a dog loose in the streets, I'll spend an hour trying to lure it into my car and bring it home. So if I showed up on your door saying I had to shoot your dog, you know I really had to do it, and that it is equally upsetting for me. I'm not saying anywhere I won't shoot one, only that it will be a very last resort.

In the case of the aggressive dog, I again speak from experience- I am not going to shoot first. I'll try a paintball round, a rock, any non-lethal projectile, and a whole lot of sound. If I can keep it away from my livestock, I can deal with a mad dog at my front door until animal control can come with her noose-pole and take him. If none of those work, I will shoot it if I must.

I think a big part of this is regional though- any and all loose dogs here are someone's pet. Dogs aren't really used to hunt or guard much here, and we spay and neuter responsibly, so there's not a big feral population anywhere. Heck, most puppies are $400+ for a mixed breed. Our shelters virtually always have room, too, so any real stray that gets picked up stays in lock-up until it's adopted. I understand other parts of the country aren't as on the ball, and I can see how they'd be a particularly dangerous nuisance compared to say a possum, so I don't blindly judge those people, but in my area, it is unacceptable to shovel and shut up if you have to shoot.

Pro all the way. I have a pleasant security in knowing that I can protect my family, home, animals, and posessions. I carry everywhere, ATV's and vehicles are always armed. I hunt to eat, and kill to protect. I am very rural and like it that way. This world is changing for the worst economically, which means the don't have's will want what the do have's have, and I advise all to excersize their 2nd amendmend rights to protect everyone you love, and the things you have worked for. JMO...........

I guess I'm pro gun because I was raised in a family where hunting was something that was always done. Now that I'm an adult and in addition to continuing to actively hunt and shoot, having guns in the house just makes sense. A gun is sometimes just necessary for where I live. I've had to use various guns to dispatch predators threatening my animals. I've had very sick animals (usually cats) dumped off in front of my house by misguided people who thought they were doing the right thing by releasing a sick pet into the wild. Never understood this out of sight, out of mind philosophy. To prevent a sick animal from getting my critters sick I've had to use a gun. Animal control will not come out to my house as I live in the country. I've also had occasions where I didn't have to use a gun but was sure glad I had guns around. Once two large pitbulls were at my door and wouldn't leave. Called the sheriff who only informed me of my right to shoot them if I felt threatened. Turns out they were actually friendly to people (I later found out from the owner that her dogs love people but will kill other dogs). But again, if it's between my dogs or mean stray dogs that are killing my dogs, it's gonna be my dogs every time! Plus, I like having guns around for the feeling of security they give me. Meth production is big in my state and you just never know. Goes back to the old oft repeated adage...I'd rather have a gun and not need it than need it and not have it. Just my two cents.

The problem with shoveling or putting the dead dog in the truck is that there is then no proof that the dog was on your place killing stock. I am of the inclination to shoot it and let it lay where it was shot. When they come looking for it, they cannot then claim that it never left their place. Of course if you shot one in the coop it couldn't stay there....and I suppose that after a few days it would get ripe......the owners of the Rottweiler we shot came looking for it though.

I have always been pro gun. I grew up in a gun collector's home and was taught at an early age to respect firearms. The fear of God was instilled at an early age about touching them without an adult present. As I got older I was taught to dismantel and clean a variety of firearms. Quality time with my father was in the basement reloading ammunition. He taught me to have great respect for the guns.

As a teen I was the only girl competing in shooting competitions and placed second in my state in black powder.

As an adult, mother and grandmother I have taught all my children and grandchildren the safe use of firearms. I have a state carry permit and carry a Glock .45mm pistol in my purse.

I am a responsible gun owner. It is my right to defend me and mine. I will shoot any predator that threatens my livestock. I am, as the song goes, a card carrying member of the NRA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom