Are You Tied Down by Your Birds? What about Vacations?

I have a friend that shares a house with two other family members. She comes to my house and sits dogs, cat, and chickens. It is like a mini vacation for her to live here for a few days. I leave her feeding instructions and phone numbers, including vet. She enjoys the time away from her home and being a farm girl for a few days. She won't take money, so I bring back a t-shirt, mug, or other item I think she would like.

I have a friend that shares a house with two other family members. She comes to my house and sits dogs, cat, and chickens. It is like a mini vacation for her to live here for a few days. I leave her feeding instructions and phone numbers, including vet. She enjoys the time away from her home and being a farm girl for a few days. She won't take money, so I bring back a t-shirt, mug, or other item I think she would like.
I love this idea. I need to find someone like this.
As of now, our neighbors are actually three families (all related) living in three separate areas of a duplex house. They are all animal lovers and the older couple living in the lower level "apartment" are up on deck to come take care of the flock for free whenever I find the time to go on vacation. An Alaskan cruise is very much wanted next year. But I don't like imposing on them. I don't like that they won't take money. Allowing someone a little mini-vacation doing something they love without the long term commitment of owning their own animals seems like a huge win-win to me.

I had the ideal situation when a friend of mine who lived in town would come out and stay here in the country so we could leave for up to a week. When her husband was back in the country (they are both former military and he does security work in the Middle East), they would take turns staying here. They never took money but enjoyed the country living and got to harvest whatever was ready. I'm told my blackberries made their way into some tasty cocktails.

Then, she joined him in Kuwait last year. A former 4-H'er was highly recommended. She came out to meet all the critters (poultry, goats, sheep, cats -- was planning to board the Great Pyrenees) and all was a go. However, the day before we were set to leave, she was a no-show, didn't answer her phone. didn't respond to texts.

Eventually, we patched together a team of folks who each took a couple of days, including a friend who has NEVER had livestock; my sister, who lives more than 150 miles away; and someone whose goats I had formerly boarded but whose caretaking abilities I questioned. I appreciate all of their efforts, but it was like the telephone game. Despite my overly detailed notes, everyone went a bit rogue. Birds got the wrong feed (feather fixer when no one was molting, for example), no one gathered eggs and I'm sure some of the birds never got out of their coops. However, everyone survived.

Still, I'd rather have my critters than spend most of my life without them so I can take a few short trips.

I have a heck of a lot more animals than a few geese (as shown in my signature), but we manage to go camping 3-5 times per year. My sis-in-law lives nearby, so we usually have her swing by going to/from work to feed/water animals. My best friend also shares babysitting duties. We have even used petsitting service, Rover, when family/friends are unable to watch them.

I love my animals, but I also love camping. No good reason not to figure out a way to have both!

I like the "mini vacation" idea. When we lived in town, I would have loved the opportunity to try out and enjoy the life of living in the country for a few days. Perhaps we can even offer our house on Airbnb with a discounted rate and the visitors would help taking care of the animals.

The responsibility and commitment required when keeping chickens, or any other creature is not a topic that gets mentioned enough. It is something that gets mentioned more in agricultural courses these days; holidays! forget it.:th
In rural areas here extended families tend to live together or close by, often a farm will be worked by the whole family and this makes getting away for a bit easier.

Thanks for the recommendation. I looked at this feeder. Does the feed just drop down from the hopper and you put a container below to catch it? The ducks will eat out of the container?
i never tried it but thought about it every year I wanted a pet sitter that "cared". I think it drops seeds on the ground, should be fine for scratch but not for other kinds of feed.
I tried grandson who forgot about collecting the eggs.
I paid a pet sitter and found the waterers empty when we returned early from a vacation.

I rarely leave the house overnight. I have no desire to travel, and if someone wants to see me, well, they'd better start driving. If, for some reason, I am forced away from home, I have a neighbour that is willing and able to care for my birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom