are your dogs and chicken friends

We are pretty new chicken owners, and we are loving our newly laying flock of RSLs. Our golden retriever and shepherd/collie mix have been incredible with them, too - which of course makes our flock and family super happy. Here is Luna our 4 month old, happily sharing her water with our girls. The second picture is Luna and our hen Athena sharing some veggies :)
[/IMG][/IMG]

Ours has been really good with the chicks since the beginning. Now she looks forward to going out each morning to let them out. She will go out and sit by the door to the coop.

How does one acclimate ones dogs to the chickens. Would be nice to let the chickens roam the yard a bit. I have a dalmatian mix and a chocolate lab.
From my experience...I put my dogs on a leash (one at a time) and brought them with the chicken and made them sit and lay down and stay there and freak a bit until they get tired and make it so it's not such a big deal anymore. My pitbull learned first time as she is very eager to please, but my border collie needed a few repetition. With the leash, then take the leash off, and then without a leash, etc. They learn that chickens are ok...to the point that the chicken could walk all over them and they wouldn't care. All they are interested in is their chicken poop (better then treats, haha). A little effort will mean freedom! My flock is free range, so having the dogs outside with them also means extra protection
smile.png

What a great picture!
I trained mine the same way.
I think it's important to have more chickens than dogs when training. In other words...I have four dogs and six chickens...I trained each dog separately with all six chickens loose. It's easier to control the dog and the chickens have a better chance of scattering and escaping the dog in case he gets out of control.

From my experience...I put my dogs on a leash (one at a time) and brought them with the chicken and made them sit and lay down and stay there and freak a bit until they get tired and make it so it's not such a big deal anymore. My pitbull learned first time as she is very eager to please, but my border collie needed a few repetition. With the leash, then take the leash off, and then without a leash, etc. They learn that chickens are ok...to the point that the chicken could walk all over them and they wouldn't care. All they are interested in is their chicken poop (better then treats, haha). A little effort will mean freedom! My flock is free range, so having the dogs outside with them also means extra protection
smile.png

I am impressed by your pit! We have tried a few times with our boxer, started months ago when chicks were just weeks old. I fear she will never see them as anything but snacks. She will sit and lay with the leash but never takes her eyes off of them and starts to shake so much I feel bad for her.

One thing I think can help with the dogs intro to chicks is to take the dog out and give it some major exercise before the intro sessions are done. A dog who is full of spit and vinegar is much more likely to over react than one who is calm and relaxed because they have just gotten a good play time out of their system!

This doesn't solve all problems, but is just another small part that can help set the dog up to succeed.

This actually can be applied to the chickens also. Ours wait impatiently at the door of their run practically banging on the gate wanting out, when we open the door they all rush out, some of them half flying to spread out through the yard.... this is NOT the right time for a first intro for a dog who is probably going to immediately try to chase those neat flying toys! Even if there is no malice intended a dog can do just as much damage trying to 'play' with chicks as a dog trying to attack them!

Set the dog up to do well... make sure to reduce causes of conflict (don't add food or treats into the mix, a chicken squabble will incite the dog to jump in also!) and I wouldn't even have any dog treats out, because birds used to human interactions will see anything in a person's hand as a treat for them, and will try to grab it... NOT a good thing to do in front of the dog! Use verbal praise and head scratches as rewards and save the treats for after the chickens are safely back in their yard.

Don't expect a miracle first encounter turning your dog into a chicken sitter... it will take many, many exposures, and you can begin to add in other things that create conflict as the dog improves till you eventually have a dog who can at least peacefully co-exist with the birds, even if they aren't in love with them.

One note... these tips I mention are assuming that the dog already has learned basic obedience skills to verbal commands and leash commands. A dog who doesn't deal well with simple obedience commands is not going to respond to them when you add in birds or other barnyard animals.

Back
Top Bottom