are your dogs and chicken friends

Such a great thread!

Before we lost our 16yr old border collie this last year she was great with the chickens. And, our 9 yr old Belgin Shepard also guards the "air space". No hawks or line running squirrels have a chance in our yard and the ladies are safe. The chickens have even landed on the shepard and she is completely unphased.

Like others have mentioned here, we introduced the baby chicks and the other pets early on. Everyone knew the baby chicks were OFF LIMITS.

We also have three cats. I was initially worried about the cat/chicken relationship but soon learned the chickens had the upper hand. Who knew?

I have a Mountain Feist (look it up) she's fixed, but I've had to take a break from chickens because of her. I'm DYING to get some chickens, but I need them to be able to free range in my yard. WHAT CAN I DO????
barnie.gif

I have a Mountain Feist (look it up) she's fixed, but I've had to take a break from chickens because of her. I'm DYING to get some chickens, but I need them to be able to free range in my yard. WHAT CAN I DO????
barnie.gif
Train her?
hu.gif
Dogs require training to be good with small animals. My dog still chases rodents and such but knows to stay away from the chickens. Unfortunately, it took her leaping through the air to snatch a chick in my hands and getting drop kicked across the room
roll.png
(reflex), then she was fine and watches over them when they free range.

reinforce her sitting quietly near a chicken looking directly at you with her favorite things. But use a leash.

Last edited:

Mine share the same love for bananas!

PaintedFeathers, mine took gradual training. EVERY dog will want to chase, hunt, or eat chickens until you let that dog know that it's not ok. I believe it also helps that I have mutts of mixed sheep-herding breeds. Hunting dogs can be a bit more of a challenge. I dogsat a couple of schnauzers, and they showed me every weakness in my coop! When I started free-ranging the chickens, I had to tell my friend that I could no longer dogsit.

When I started free-ranging, I had to start by introducing my dogs to the full-grown and bossier chickens, ones that would peck if the dogs got too close. We had about 5 instances where I ran out and told the dogs not to chase the chickens, before they got the hang of it. Soon we could introduce new mostly-grown pullets without a problem. Then we got chicks, and we raised the them in the bathtub, within reach of the dogs, but made it clear that they were off limits. One wanted to chase them, the other wanted to mother them! A baby chick does NOT appreciate a mother dog's tongue all over it. Soon we knew we could leave the door open and trust the dogs.

Now I can happily say that we can have baby chicks free-ranging in the yard, and my dogs won't bother them. We don't do that, though. Just because I trained my dogs, that doesn't say a thing for the neighborhood cats or hawks!

Last edited:

Mine share the same love for bananas!

PaintedFeathers, mine took gradual training. EVERY dog will want to chase, hunt, or eat chickens until you let that dog know that it's not ok. I believe it also helps that I have mutts of mixed sheep-herding breeds. Hunting dogs can be a bit more of a challenge. I dogsat a couple of schnauzers, and they showed me every weakness in my coop! When I started free-ranging the chickens, I had to tell my friend that I could no longer dogsit.

When I started free-ranging, I had to start by introducing my dogs to the full-grown and bossier chickens, ones that would peck if the dogs got too close. We had about 5 instances where I ran out and told the dogs not to chase the chickens, before they got the hang of it. Soon we could introduce new mostly-grown pullets without a problem. Then we got chicks, and we raised the them in the bathtub, within reach of the dogs, but made it clear that they were off limits. One wanted to chase them, the other wanted to mother them! A baby chick does NOT appreciate a mother dog's tongue all over it. Soon we knew we could leave the door open and trust the dogs.

Now I can happily say that we can have baby chicks free-ranging in the yard, and my dogs won't bother them. We don't do that, though. Just because I trained my dogs, that doesn't say a thing for the neighborhood cats or hawks!
I have a Husky X Greyhound
he.gif
talk about stubborn and prey driven!

My dog is a small mix breed. She was raised along side my chickens since I got her home as tiny puppy.

For 2 years she was great with the chickens and the chickens even would perch on her back to go to sleep in the sun! I used to leave them all together during the day when I was at work - all free range in the garden. The dog protected them from cats and other animals.

But one day I cam home to find she had killed 2 chickens and was chasing the others around the garden. She was like a different dog. I have no ideas what made her 'snap'.

Since that day she was always wanting to get the chickens. I had to lock the chickens in a run - but the dog would pace up and down and try to rip out the wire to get in to them.

I thought I would have to re home the dog - which I was very upset about.

But I put in lots of training - throwing water on her every time she showed interest in the chickens or got to close to them. It was slow going. One day a hen got out of the run and i was right there to see my dog grab it - I freaked out and grabbed the dog by the scruff and shouted at her and shook her onto her back. My dog is very sensitive and I have never done anything like that before. After that time she has never bothered the chickens again!

This was 3 years ago and now dog and chickens are all happy together again - just like the old days. But I always lock the chickens back into their run if I have to go out - just to be safe.

I like to advise people that even the most well behaved dog can suddenly change if something triggers their instincts - so be careful.

I have a Husky X Greyhound
he.gif
talk about stubborn and prey driven!

lau.gif
I had a Husky x German Shepard, but by the time I got chickens, she was 15 years old. She could have cared less about chickens, as long as they weren't climbing on her.
P.S... I meant to use 15littlem's name in there. I probably sounded pedantic. Sorry!

Last edited:
My dog loves my chickens. When they were chicks, I would hold them up to him so they would learn to be comfortable around him. They now run up to him when he goes out into the yard. He is a great chicken guardian.

Back
Top Bottom