are your dogs and chicken friends

My Roo and Rottweiler have become bff's they eat and drink together..Predators beware!! I have tag team duo to watch over our hens

I'll never let them get close enough to know. See, I trained my dogs to hunt pheasant. So when they see a bird of any size they want to "hunt" it. My oldest is 11 and my youngest is 8. They where breed to hunt birds and that's what they will do giving the chance. They would never kill the bird but could cause injuries that would. So when the chickens are out of their pen the dogs stay in the house.

We have a black lab and 2 german shorhairs. The 13 year old female shorthair thinks chicken should be part of her diet. The 5 year old male lab and 7 year old male shorthair don't mind the chickens at all. Once in while the boys get playful and run around by the chickens but that's it. The female shorthair is supposed to be retired. She thinks the chickens are part of her pension? These dogs are hunting dogs. We'll see how they do once they start hunting this year. Chickens may be in for a suprize.

our dogs are friends with our chickens as they were all raised with animals, its lovely to see them protect the chickens just like they would for any of there own! im just weary on weather the chickens will be scared of predators as they may confuse a fox with the dogs but haven't ever had any problems yet!:)
My chickens know my cats from the neighbors cats and set off the crazy chicken alarm whenever the wrong cat is in my yard! I am sure a fox has an odor and a way of moving that the chickens would absolutely freak out over. The biggest mistake that people make with domestic animals is that they assume they are dumb animals. True that I have had some not so smart chickens but I have also had chickens rival the dogs intelligence!

As far as; do the dogs and chickens get along? Not as good as the ones pictured but close, they don't sleep together but they do seem to know to put out a trouble call when a strange animal scares them and I almost think they like watching the dobermans come flying up the yard to investigate! It really is funny to watch. The chickens that have lived here the longest seem to have just the right call to get the dogs running and they seem to then take a step back as two huge dobys come storming past to check on the perimeters!

But the absolute funnest thing is when a hen starts singing the egg laying song, the dobys will join in and howl as loud and as long as whatever hen is going off sings out.

Not really friends but so far everyone co-exists peacefully.

We have our 3 big girls (oldest group of chicks) that seem to love our front porch...they are always on it...they sleep on the dog bed and have found them on the chair with our cat.

We do have a 2.5 year old GP but we actually acquired him through a family member going through a divorce. He was not raised around animals but is an amazing gentle boy...and does his job of barking, patrolling, etc....though so far he doesn't show much specific interest in the chickens...he'll eat treats we throw out with them and they will scratch around him if he's laying in their way. Our bulldog has been good with them too...especially considering she's a hyper freak who eats any thing and everything!

The summer has been so nice that all the animals are just lazy and enjoying the days...poor chickens have no idea what they're in for:p

I have a German shepherd who has never shown any interest in my chickens at all, I think she would be fine. However, I also have a German shepherd x husky and he loves chickens - really loves them! He has killed two adults and 5 young ones(under 6 weeks). If they escape from their enclosure he feels they are fair game. I managed to get one adult off him and it survived but some of the young ones he ate without trace.
Hopefully I have fixed the gaps now and no more will be able to escape!

Its mixed for me. My burnese mountain dog once got into the run, i saw silkie feathers all over the place and i was petrified! He was bleeding in a corner of the hen shed. The rest of the hens were hiding in another small shed, or in the old garden where there are lots of bushes and brambles. My big Oprington was hiding in an old tyre, i had never seen her so still it scared the crap out of me! No fatalities but we were all shaken up.
On the other hand, my 16 week old shepherd wanted to get in to see them. I threwthe hens some maize from the pigs to distract them. I brought Kujo ( lol ) in on a lead, the hens saw him and didnt mind ( that suprised me ) and he only wanted to smell the place, he ignored the hens altogether. He is a puppy though:p

My LGD loves the chase, we've had her for 2 months, and I still can't let them all roam together, I take her out in the yard with the girls on a leash, and when she starts to initiate a chase, I correct her. It may be some time before I can trust her with them, but she will be worth the wait ;)

Back
Top Bottom