Are your dogs microchipped?

Microchips, like any under the skin implant or foreign objects, can migrate from the original placement to anywhere under the skin in the body. One dog scanned at her back hip while the chip was placed a couple years before at the shoulder.

They can ALSO be ejected from the body, slowly but surely over time, like we can slowly eject a splinter.

Just remember to have your pet rescanned every couple of years somewhere, like the vet, to be sure it's still locatable.

We have had to replace a couple of chips, and will probably continue to need to do so over the years every so often.

Horses are required to be chipped in MS. As a result, every single horse was identified and returned to its owner after Hurricane Katrina. Mobile does have and use scanners, but I can't really speak for other areas of the state. I personally have not had my animals chipped because they never leave my house. It would probably be a good idea just in case. Every so often, you hear in the news about an animal that was returned to its owner due to the chip, sometimes from several states away.

On a bit of a sidenote, I have a good friend whose wife works for the SPCA and is very pro microchip. He, however, refuses to have their pets done for religious reasons. He believes such actions will usher in the mark of the beast as mentioned in Revelations. I don't quite go that far, but something about it does sound very big brotherish.

from a different angle:
my best friend had her weimeriner(sp?) chipped. her skin had a bad reaction to it, resulting in a LARGE vet bill to end the infection and remove scar tissue, and a horrendous large life long scar and ugly hairless patch between her shoulders.

Quote:
I read on Avid's website that the vet can designate a shelter to recieve a free scanner.
We only have a traditional dog pound around here. As DH says, the dog catcher is a young, illiterate guy that is a cop wannabe. He'd much rather be following the cops around than be back at the shelter, taking care of the animals. He'd love to be hired on by the city as a police officer, but can't pass his GED.
It's a very basic system, designed to keep stray dogs from being a nuisance to the city, rather than an agency that actually cares about the animals.
sad.png

I'll ask our vet about designating the shelter to recieve a scanner.
There are only two vets around here - ours, who is an hour away and another that I wouldn't take a dead dog to.

It's sad that there is little if any money alloted for city/county shelters and pounds. You have to fight for every penny you receive. There are alot of grants available but those who generally run or work in them do not either have the knowledge or the desire to apply for the grants. Yes it's possible to get a free scanner for the shelter. I'm just glad that in our area we have enough shelters and rescue groups that own scanners and use them. We're very fortunate.

we joke that maggie has more ID than I do. She is micro-chipped (the pound does this to all dogs they adopt out), she has a tattoo (this was done by the vet who took care of her when she was rescued from being chained to a tree deep in the woods) and she has her dog licence tag.

All of my dogs are chipped. I know some shelters don't scan but it is still proof of ownership and if someone steals your dog or it is lost and someone finds it and tries to keep it, you can prove it is your dog. Otherwise it is just looks like every other boston, dobe, lab, gsd, etc. It gives me peace of mind and it is fairly cheap. I buy them directly from Avid and do them myself.

Cats and dogs are microchipped. Never lost one but I will do what I can to identify/get them back if anything ever happens. Fires happen, someone leaving a gate open, accidents,hurricanes etc. They have dog tags, chip and the Greyhound has tattoos from the racing days - I had his papers transferred into my name with the National Greyhound Association.....All of mine are rescues and a couple were already microchipped from the shelter/rescue group. Nothing is 100% foolproof but this works for me to have some peace of mind.....

Back
Top Bottom