Are your May babies laying?

mochicken

Songster
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
NW Missouri
I have 2 Barred Rock pullets that were mid April hatches, and two Buff Orpingtons that are around the same age that are either on egg strike or not laying. I found one of the barred rocks laying on a hidden nest of several eggs recently and she laid one more before going on strike but I dont think the other barred or buffs have laid. They have been locked in their coop and run and not free ranging for a couple weeks till they figure it out.

I also have 3 Rhode Island Red pullets, 4 Black Sex Link Pullets that I got at 2 days old May 8th that have yet to lay, they are getting more red in the face and talking alot, I have noticed alot of feathers in the egg boxes where they are apparently checking it out but no eggs yet.

Pretty soon I will have more than I will know what to do with lol

Do any of you have May babies laying?

My one may girl isn't laying just yet... but her mom is a BR and her dad was a BO and I think she's just taking her time maturing. Going to be HUMUNGOUS (sp?)!!!

I have no idea what's the matter with my girls, but I have some from March's hatch that are not laying. A SLW, BO and 2 White Rocks....... They are squatting, so I'm hoping any day now.

I have at least two spring pullets that are laying: a Silkie and a Silkie X (who lays green eggs). There may be another chiming in with an egg or two per week, because I've noticed the Silkie eggs can be slightly different tints.

Last year's spring pullets started laying in mid-winter and didn't stop till molting. So keep the faith, if you're hoping for eggs this winter!

Mine hatched May 2. Of the 17 hens I think about 7 or 8 are laying now...we get 5 or 6 eggs a day but the number is steadily increasing. Assorted breeds, first to lay was the Gold Comet (who came as our free chick) followed by the Dominique, Gold Lace Wyandotte and, on the same day three of the four white egg layers, the Blue Andalusian, Sicilian buttercup and Golden Lakenvelder. I'm pretty sure the fourth one, the non laying white egg layer, is Crazy Muriel the Golden Campine. Not sure who else, I think the Partridge Rock, Red Laced Blue Wyandotte are laying or are about to.

Cat you gotttttttttttttta post some pics of the silkie x that lays green eggs
wink.png
I LOVE silkies

sad.png

My APRIL babies aren't laying yet. Got a couple girls that hatched in March too, no eggs, but they're slow growers so I'll forgive them.

My 2 Dominique hens hatched May 24th. "Sally the First" (her clutch mate is "Sally the 2nd") wasn't feeling quite herself yesterday ans as she is by far my favorite, I was concerned. She's had the bright red face for over a month. My visit around noon revealed a small, perfectly formed light beige/pinkish egg. My very first chicken egg ever!
wee.gif

I have all March babies...the Splash Orp, lavender Ameraucana and the GLW are laying but the EE, OE, and black Ameraucana are not. I keep waiting for their eggs...they are getting large, red combs!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom