Are yourDucks as Confused as Mine?

wow, 55? yeah that would present problems.. anyhow no not here we had freezing rain this morning which turned to snow so now there is this heavy, wet snow everywhere! My two young drakes are fighting again though...

ugh..
barnie.gif
i can't wait for spring so i get at least one of them gone!!!!! Just checked i am steady at zero and compared to recent temps that is warm.. lol

My hens really have never stopped laying? i admit now it's hard to keep track exactly who is.. (there are 5 of them) and we've been bitterly cold sometimes.. -20C/-30C

My Welsh Harlequins have never stopped laying -- I may switch over to them entirely and banish the chickens -- I have 5 female ducks and get 3 eggs or more a day most of the time - as opposed to the 2 eggs I get from my 20 some hens. The mating behavior has gone on all winter but no one has gotten broody yet -- I'm hoping for at least one nest of ducklings but I thought that January was a bit earlier than normal.

Ours started laying back around mid-Dec. Now they are all laying, no more pullet eggs. Everything is XL, Jumbo, or too heavy for the scale, lol. Even had one today that's big enough to be a goose egg. (It's not a goose egg, way too thin shelled and "duck-shaped")

The geese are even starting to mate. I expect eggs in a few weeks from them too.

It's been like 65-70 here daily?!

Yikes thats not good, thank goodness I have never seen one of my scovie drakes trying to mate with one of my chickens, Hopefully having 8 girls keeps them happy.

Yes, the weather does cycle, but this has been crazy.
My drake was caught today trying to mate my EE hen. All are on lock down until I decide what to do now.

Thats is great that ya'll have been getting eggs all winter even in bitter cold, My Muscovies turn off in Oct. and have never [an i say that lightly since the weather has been so weird] laid an egg before end of march. I have been able to get 2-6 eggs a day from my chickens so at least i haven't had to buy any eggs.

I saw my drake mating today for the first time since last fall. My older girls never did stop laying. The young ducks are acting frisky and flirting with my gander. The grass is coming up, I saw a humming bird, the flowers are starting to send up leaves...it all seems a bit early. Admittedly I do live in a mild winter area but still...

I saw my drake mating today for the first time since last fall. My older girls never did stop laying. The young ducks are acting frisky and flirting with my gander. The grass is coming up, I saw a humming bird, the flowers are starting to send up leaves...it all seems a bit early. Admittedly I do live in a mild winter area but still...

Thats great i just hope you don't get a freeze and it kills everything. It's to be into low 20's here tonight last night it was 48 with thunder storms. crazy, One of our peach trees has buds that looks like they would open before long.... why too early.. Both of my drakes have been with the girls and that usually doesn't start here before march...

Quote: I am not sure what to do.
I am concerned that if he is locked with just the duck hens he will over breed them, but I don't want him near my chickens anymore.
It is a tough day here. I have plans to add more girls, but they won't be old enough to be around him for a long while. He has been a nice boy to his girls until now, but I saw a look in his eye yesterday, and have been watching him ever since. Little bugger. I really wanted to be wrong on that one.

Back
Top Bottom