Are yourDucks as Confused as Mine?

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16-17
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
Here it is coming on the end of January and my ducks think it's March or April. The mating game is starting, the girls are raising a ruckus well as much as Muscovies can, which is pretty loud when all 8 of them start. Boys are chasing the girls getting in the pool with them and also chasing them down on dry ground[ which isn't to dry we have had alot of rain] I expect to see a duck egg any day now, if i do it will be the first time I have seen one this early in the 8 years i have had Muscovies. It's crazy. And the weather is crazy too. it was 55* today 10above normal. No wonder everyone is acting a little crazy.

I can't answer for ducks yet, but I noticed the wild birds were starting to get frisky, and I even heard some mating songs today that I usually don't hear till the beginning of March.

I can't answer for ducks yet, but I noticed the wild birds were starting to get frisky, and I even heard some mating songs today that I usually don't hear till the beginning of March.

It's got to be the goofy weather we have been having, yep i heard the lil wren calling his mate today..

Mine sort of. I have had some start to lay, and then stop and start.... some of my girls are chasing the boys....and doing little dances....and I heard the frogs! We live in front of hayfields and a National Forest and the croakers are raising a rukus, hatching in Jan. But I remember in the last 30 years or so some warm Januarys... been great though as I have overseeded some pastures and getting a good start... on roots ....

My ducks started the mating dance again last week when we had 12 inches of snow on the ground. The drakes were even pinning the ladies down on the ground. Even Ciscoe is pinning the ladies on the ground (in about 3 inches of mud) which he normally doesn't do - he only gets amorous in water usually. He's just a little awkward on land.....Yes, definitely, something in the air. But why with snow on the ground, no clue? We were unseasonably mild in December, but not now.

Mine have been practicing mating for MONTHS now. No eggs yet, but Mr.B. does seem to be better at surfing, so by the time they lay we should have some pretty fertile females.
It has been a very odd year weather wise. The strangest I can remember & the last ten years have been getting weirder & weirder.
I am glad that global warming is a construct of the liberal media, otherwise I would be concerned.
wink.png

Oh man, my drakes have been driving me crazy, and causing a lot of problems for my girls. My poors girls haven't stopped laying all winter.

We have had such a mild winter here in North Eastern AZ. Not a good thing for us in the summer. We keep praying for snow but haven't had much yet. Hopefully, we will get some good snowstorms before the end of winter. My son is worried that the rest of our forest will burn, and we won't have a place to go camping this summer :( poor kid.

Anyway, I hope next year the drakes aren't quite so aggressive, and the ducks will take a break in laying during the winter. At least I am not alone in the odd behavior of the waterfowl world.

My ducks started the mating dance again last week when we had 12 inches of snow on the ground. The drakes were even pinning the ladies down on the ground. Even Ciscoe is pinning the ladies on the ground (in about 3 inches of mud) which he normally doesn't do - he only gets amorous in water usually. He's just a little awkward on land.....Yes, definitely, something in the air. But why with snow on the ground, no clue? We were unseasonably mild in December, but not now.

Mine have been practicing mating for MONTHS now. No eggs yet, but Mr.B. does seem to be better at surfing, so by the time they lay we should have some pretty fertile females.
It has been a very odd year weather wise. The strangest I can remember & the last ten years have been getting weirder & weirder.
I am glad that global warming is a construct of the liberal media, otherwise I would be concerned.
wink.png

I agree about the global warming and the liberal press, and those of us that have been around for a while know the weather goes in cycles, but to have my ducks starting to mate this early is crazy, I kindof liked the break of winter where my 2 drakes and gander where able to be in the same enclosure and not a feather ruffled, but it's starting to get hot out there old drake chasing young drake, girls being chased and mating going on, at least the water hasn't been frozen for about a week now so they can get into the pool which is nice for the girls. No eggs yet.

Yes, the weather does cycle, but this has been crazy.
My drake was caught today trying to mate my EE hen. All are on lock down until I decide what to do now.

Back
Top Bottom