Aren't dogs and chickens great?

This is Darla and "The Girls"- enjoying the sunshine after a weekend of nothing but grey sky's and rain.
38196_darla-tripletsnov2011_008.jpg

It's so great see so many prey driven breeds that can peacefully coexist with chickens. I have 4 dogs and the one you would think would be the biggest threat, is the best with them. She is a Greyhound/Pit/everything. My others are Pit/?, Shih tzu/Poodle and Doxie/Maltese. What's funny is before we got chickens, when our neighbors chickens would sneak in our yard, they were as good as dead. My dogs would go nuts! Now, since they have been taught to respect our chickens, if the neighbor's chickens sneek in our yard, they don't even go after them. Unfortunately, I don't want my neighbors chickens my yard ( they all have scaley leg mites, amongst other things). But I can't really tell my dogs to go after them, and risk them thinking it's ok to go after any chicken. Here is a pic of my Greyhound mix, Olyvia, with the ladies:

44142_lyvwchickens.jpg

44142_lyvwchickens2.jpg

Found this pic of when we first set up our run and very first coop. As you can see, Lyv was a little more intersted in the creatures running around inside. So glad she changed her mind about them.
smile.png

44142_dscf0010_010-4.jpg

Last edited:
37931_472573073473_743368473_6649636_6432583_n.jpg

Dutch, my husky / pit mix. Very good with the birds. Is calm and stoic when they are out walking where I usually refer to him as "baby huey". He will find a spot to sit and stand guard while they do their thing. I wouldn't leave him with them alone but its nice to know he is on watch as we have strays and loose dogs.

Quote:
Jack Russels are very high strong, but I wouldn't say it's hopeless. It would take a lot of work and patience but it can be done. My Bella (sheperd/hound mix) is always "on the hunt" bundles of energy...chases everything (even up the 6' tree...yes, she climbs the tree chasing squirls)...always seems like she is on crack or something they way she has so much energy. She gets this, what I call "kill moods", when she sees squirls are anything really. I just sat outside on the backyard with her on a leash until she was able to relax around "the girls", when she was no longer "Bella the hunting dog" I would give the girls treats to get close...etc, etc.... Many hours and treats later (for both chicks and dogs) we have a happy home! lol

Well, I would never trust them. They attacked my favorite rooster and he almost died. I was there kicking my dogs and they would not let go of him. He survived the attack, but died of other complications a month later.

This is Guinness, the lab/rottie mix. She looks intimidating (which is the point, when you live in the boonies), but she is a gentle giant and is excellent with our chickens!
102475_014.jpg

She is getting on in years and has some health issues, and I am worried that I will never find a doggie that does as wonderfully as she with the chicklets. <3 She gives the babies some love slorps on their beaks, and alerts the flock if there's "stranger danger."
smile.png

That's the coop in the background. The chickens were ranging, no doubt! Also, she had surgery to remove the hygroma (growth) on her elbow, so it's not there anymore.

I have what the vet speculated to be a retriever mix that gets along with the chickens well. When he was a puppy, I would take him into the coop and set in my lap while the chickens walked aroud us. I repeated this until the chickens became a normal part of the environment for him and nothing to get excited about.

Fionna, my Irish Terrier, just LOVES my turkeys. My turkey hen, Mrs. Turkey, flies into the fenced yard quite often, and hangs out with Fionna. I wish I had a picture of them both, but here's a pic of Mrs. Turkey on the fence, ready to fly in:

23665_mrtomonthefence.jpg

Back
Top Bottom