Aren't dogs and chickens great?

AnimalsComeFirst

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Hugging a Chicken
I have a rat terrier mix, named Luna. When I first got my hamsters, I thought they'd be dead within weeks... and now she loves to get a "kiss" from the hamster on her cheek! And once he got loose... she found him for me, ALIVE AND UNHARMED! When I got the chickens.... boy, i thought, big mistake. For the first few weeks, Luna was weary of the chickens, barking and watching them closely. We didn't ever leave her alone with the chickens, because we thought she might hurt them. A few weeks later, I was out in the yard with the chickens, with no fence around them. Luna was on a leash. All of a sudden, a dog came running out of the woods, right for my "girls" (chickens!)!
Luna took charge, chased the dog away and then came back to me wagging her tail, like "Did I do good, mom?"
Now Luna LOVES the chickens... she can't wait to go "let the girls out" in the morning!

Share your pictures and stories of your canines and feathered friends!

94962_picture_067.jpg

Last edited:
Too funny I just posted about my dogs and girls getting along just fine. My Hound/Shepard mix had me worried...but she is great with them....one night was going crazy at the door to go out, when I let her out she went after a coon that was around the coop. The coon went to backyard behind our house and Bella climbed the 5' fence right behind it!!! She's a good girl!
big_smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=594268 here my post with pics!

Here is one of our dogs and my favorite chick.

319219_2492092992486_1557619985_32538842_940591000_n.jpg

She gets a tad excited, especially when wings start flapping, so she's on a leash when they are out of the coop. My other dog doesn't care.

375011_2492092712479_1557619985_32538841_1265702828_n.jpg

She just wanted someone to throw her dang stick.

I want so badly for all my animals to get along. I'm such a 'nervous nelly' though. I love them all so much and don't want anyone to get hurt or worse. My lab/terrier is a sweetheart but I'm afraid she would kill one of my chickens just to bring it to me as a prize. She was very aggressive toward them when I had them in the garage as chicks. But my red dobe, another story altogether.

She LOVES the chickens and thinks they are HER babies!

Imagine, my 75 pound lap dog is gentler than my 30 pond lab/terrier!

i have a yellow lab(buddy) he gets along good with his hens,his babies as we call them...lol...so when our one hen doesnt get into the coop before nightfall buddy is the one who fines her for us...we just tell him to go find his baby...she is usually laying right along the border of the fence...he gets over excited sometimes when they start to run from him but never has tried to harm them...he does the same thing with our two ducks...the male duck charges after him and runs into the back of him so buddy just plays along and runs big circles around the male duck...like come on lets play...i think he forgets that he is alot bigger and i am not sure if he even knows he is a "dog"...lol....he has to taste all of the feed....then he even sometimes will eat the grass with the horse...lol....

Back
Top Bottom