Argh! Are the rest shrink wrapped too?

alpinewelsummer

Songster
Mar 15, 2021
So, I have 8 hatched quail (yay!), but they were knocking around the unhatched eggs a LOT, so I followed the advice I was given and removed each chick after watching each one nearly scramble its poor siblings.

But now I believe I have a shrink wrapped chick. She pipped externally and is breathing but her membrane is very white and opaque--I did assist just a bit and I'm waiting an hour or two to see what she does.

I really REALLY didn't want to open that incubator, but I was advised here to not let the eggs get rolled around. I guess the repeated openings built up and dried her out. I feel so awful. :hit

There's two more eggs that haven't pipped externally yet. I planned to let them sit a few more days and see what happens, but now I'm terrified that they're dried out too. What should I do?

Thank you for any advice.

EDIT: I did add more water and wet paper towels each time, so the humidity always went back up quickly, I believe it was just going through that process 8 times that built up to the issue.

Last edited:
Oh no. Could you explain what I did wrong? I followed the advice of holding with a warm wet wash cloth, gently breaking the shell with tweezers. Did I make too much of a "window" shape rather than "zipping", or do you just not recommended that assist method at all?

To be clear, I didn't mess with the membrane at all, just the outer shell.
Adding wet water to an egg is never a good idea... It actually can dry the egg out more.

What I was meaning is you should never help unless you're going to follow through and take the chick out of the egg.
You're not actually helping by just making a hole larger.

You've already opened the incubator enough that by opening it another time is not going to do any more damage.
Get a close look and see if the chick is moving.

Adding wet water to an egg is never a good idea... It actually can dry the egg out more.

What I was meaning is you should never help unless you're going to follow through and take the chick out of the egg.
You're not actually helping by just making a hole larger.

You've already opened the incubator enough that by opening it another time is not going to do any more damage.
Get a close look and see if the chick is moving.
Oof. I'm so sorry. I'm getting so much conflicting info and the other threads I read here recommended the wet wash cloth. I'll keep this in mind in the future.

She isn't wiggling but she's DEFINITELY breathing. I can see the membrane over her moving up and down with each breath.

You're welcome. You've been given good advice. If you haven't already, I recommend reading this Guide to Assisted Hatching.

Can you see veins in the moistened membrane?

Thank you for the guide! I wish I'd known not to use water originally. I do believe I see a bit of red, which is part of the reason I stopped there and didn't go further.

Up the humidity if it has not come back on its own. If you need to soften membrane use vegetable oil (not water). If you have to open again find a way to create more humidity. I use a shower, some mist the air.

Just so u knoe i personally have no issues hatched quail always gona knock the eggs about most time it encourages them to hatch so i wouldnt panic on that note. Xx

That's super relieving to know in the future, thank you! I kept getting conflicting responses on that, haha.

Also, a dry membrane is not the same as shrink wrapped.

True! I was only worried because she made no progress in her struggle after 24 hours, and the membrane kept stretching around her beak in a rubbery way instead of breaking further--alongside being opaque white.

Thank you for being here to help!

True! I was only worried because she made no progress in her struggle after 24 hours, and the membrane kept stretching around her beak in a rubbery way instead of breaking further--alongside being opaque white.

Thank you for being here to help!
You're welcome. You've been given good advice. If you haven't already, I recommend reading this Guide to Assisted Hatching.

Can you see veins in the moistened membrane?

Ah, she was dead as I went to take the picture. I'm so sorry lil one. :hit

Well, lesson learned: I'll take knocked around eggs over killing one in a silly panic any day. I appreciate the knowledge for future reference anyhow, thank you both so much.

Back
Top Bottom