Argh! Are the rest shrink wrapped too?

Just so u knoe i personally have no issues hatched quail always gona knock the eggs about most time it encourages them to hatch so i wouldnt panic on that note. Xx

That's super relieving to know in the future, thank you! I kept getting conflicting responses on that, haha.

Also, a dry membrane is not the same as shrink wrapped.

True! I was only worried because she made no progress in her struggle after 24 hours, and the membrane kept stretching around her beak in a rubbery way instead of breaking further--alongside being opaque white.

Thank you for being here to help!

Oh no. Could you explain what I did wrong? I followed the advice of holding with a warm wet wash cloth, gently breaking the shell with tweezers. Did I make too much of a "window" shape rather than "zipping", or do you just not recommended that assist method at all?

To be clear, I didn't mess with the membrane at all, just the outer shell.
Adding wet water to an egg is never a good idea... It actually can dry the egg out more.

What I was meaning is you should never help unless you're going to follow through and take the chick out of the egg.
You're not actually helping by just making a hole larger.

You've already opened the incubator enough that by opening it another time is not going to do any more damage.
Get a close look and see if the chick is moving.

True! I was only worried because she made no progress in her struggle after 24 hours, and the membrane kept stretching around her beak in a rubbery way instead of breaking further--alongside being opaque white.

Thank you for being here to help!
You're welcome. You've been given good advice. If you haven't already, I recommend reading this Guide to Assisted Hatching.

Can you see veins in the moistened membrane?

Adding wet water to an egg is never a good idea... It actually can dry the egg out more.

What I was meaning is you should never help unless you're going to follow through and take the chick out of the egg.
You're not actually helping by just making a hole larger.

You've already opened the incubator enough that by opening it another time is not going to do any more damage.
Get a close look and see if the chick is moving.
Oof. I'm so sorry. I'm getting so much conflicting info and the other threads I read here recommended the wet wash cloth. I'll keep this in mind in the future.

She isn't wiggling but she's DEFINITELY breathing. I can see the membrane over her moving up and down with each breath.

You're welcome. You've been given good advice. If you haven't already, I recommend reading this Guide to Assisted Hatching.

Can you see veins in the moistened membrane?

Thank you for the guide! I wish I'd known not to use water originally. I do believe I see a bit of red, which is part of the reason I stopped there and didn't go further.

Get really clear pictures of this egg and we will be able to tell you if it's absorbed the veins. I would remove it momentarily from the incubator to do this. If you can do it in a warm humid room that would be best.

Get really clear pictures of this egg and we will be able to tell you if it's absorbed the veins. I would remove it momentarily from the incubator to do this. If you can do it in a warm humid room that would be best.

I'll see if I can, I'll try to get the room nice and warm real quick.

Back
Top Bottom