Ari's Eye

ChickenAJ

Songster
Aug 12, 2022
Missouri, USA, Earth
I've got a 10 week old Easter Egger who is having an issue with her eye. Likely I am just an overworried "mother hen," but wanted to make sure it isn't anything more serious.
You can see in the picture that her left eye is closed, none of the beard is irritating the eye. Yesterday and today are really windy and dry days in my area. I did not notice her eye bothering her yesterday. Her right right seems to be fine for the most part, but closes occasionally. She is just slightly less active, not as quick as a chicken should be. She let me hold her (which is sometimes unusual) and move the beard away from her eye to get a better examination.
Dry eye? Dust in eye? Bird flu? Any remedies?

ari eye 2022.jpg

Not an expert, but I worry about my birds the same.

Out of curiosity, did your eye examination reveal anything strange? I don't know how recommended it is if you don't see a visible problem, but there are things that can be done for foreign objects or infections of the eye. Outside of that I would be trying to find more evidence for/against general health... Maybe check for weird or normal poop, appetite level, drinking level, for mites in her feathers, and for crop issues (is she empty in the morning like she should be). Also, is she laying eggs at all?

Edit: Laying obviously not a concern at 10 weeks, I need to read better haha.

Back
Top Bottom