Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. turkeybreeder

turkeybreeder Songster

May 30, 2010
    Mesa Arizona
    Quote:Shavings will help if they do not get wet from the waterer, then they just keep it wet.

Make sure there is enough heat from the lamp and that there are no drafts. But not so much heat that it bakes them!

If they sprawl out as far from the lamp as the can get, too hot. If they are huddled together in one big fuzzy lump right under it, they're too cold. Keep the food and water as far away from the lamp as you can.

thanks i check again and they standed up and are walking
    and eating wow i thought i was going to loose them
    thank you

2. Brenda Schonig

Brenda Schonig In the Brooder

Oct 8, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Okay I have been absent again. Two weeks ago our beloved English Mastiff had a siezure and died. It was awful and I went into a two wekk funk....

Lesson I learned....never buy a dog you can not physically pick up and haul off to the vet when they need your help the most. My dog weighed 160 - 180 and when she had her siezure she fell down in the irrigation water so she was also sopping wet. Impossible for me to lift. When I finally found a neighbor home with a truck it took three of us to roll her onto the blanket and then carry her from the back yard to the front and into the truck. She died an hour after we got to the vet.

So notw back to the subjuect of Chickens.....(shussshhhhh) I got two last Friday! I know you guys with dozens are thinking seriously only two? LOL...I am getting two more this Friday when they get in the Ameracanas. So I have one RIR and one Barred Rock... Now I think already the Barred is acting like a Roo.....it makes a lot more noise and is definitley taking charge of the RIR...It is a lot larger too. I will probably be getting rid of him soon....so I know it is hard to introduce new chicks to an established chick coop but is one week difference in age going to be a problem? Maybe I should take out the barred at that time and put in the two Ameracanas with the RIR Any suggestions please?

The truth is that the grackles and other birds in my trees are so noisy we can not even hear the chicks.I hope I can pull this off without noisy neighbors!

Brenda

3. mclevinson

mclevinson Songster

Sep 20, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:Good luck with that! Sorry about your dog. My BFF had to put down her beloved cat of 16+ years last night, she's in a funk too.
    Meg

4. ReadyRen

ReadyRen In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Quote:Sorry to hear about your loss Brenda, I love Mastiffs wonderful dogs. My mother's dachshund didn't make it two weeks ago as well. Her other chihuahua / rat terrier is taking it very hard.

I would wait a bit to see if the Barred is a roo before doing anything. I have an 8-9 week old easter egger that might be a roo as well. I bought a barred rock that was supposed to be 8 weeks but I think is more like six that could be a roo also.

If you wake up in a few weeks to a crowing rooster you can deal with it then.

RR

5. tightwad

tightwad Songster

Oct 9, 2008
  6. mclevinson

mclevinson Songster

Sep 20, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:Perfect for Seramas!

7. tightwad

tightwad Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:That's nice to hear. My first thoughts of trimming her beak made me a little squeamish but it's better than having to cull if she doesn't thrive. I was worried that she would have to always eat crumbles because pellets would be too cumbersome. Do you just clip off the tip of the top and bottom a small amount?

I ususally clip both top and bottom, but you'll have to judge for yourself whether yours needs it or not. Mine was at least 6 months old before I ever clipped her beak. It's kind of like clipping dog's toenails - just be careful not to cut the quick. I can see where to cut because the area needing trimmed is clear/white and is longer than it is supposed to be - it actually looks pretty obvious. I always have someone else hold the hen while I clip - if you are nervous about it, you can always file it rather than clip it.

Check out Charlie on this thread - seeing him should give you hope [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=356404

Thanks so much for the clipping info (and sorry it took me so long to respond). I'll keep an eye on the beak length and as long as someone will hold her in a towel I should be OK to do it. She's always been one of the friendliest so maybe she won't mind too much.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Off to the coop to candle my eggs

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Started with 13... on day two one broke and put egg yolk gunk on most of the other 12.

Day 10 candle, 7 remain. 1 BCM and 6 w/bw Ameraucanas

10. mclevinson

mclevinson Songster

Sep 20, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:Good luck with those 7!

I ended up with 11 Americaunas and one FBCM. Yea! I'll eggtopsy the leftovers and see where we failed.

Last edited: May 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: