Arizona Chickens

Quote:
Gosh. The problem would be sudden unaccustomed extreme heat for your ladies, quarantine to keep the foster home flock safe, probably A/C just to keep them alive. Obviously you'd rather not re home them where you are but moving chickens to AZ is tricky. In July? I'm so sorry you have to face this. It's very difficult.

Quote:
Gosh. The problem would be sudden unaccustomed extreme heat for your ladies, quarantine to keep the foster home flock safe, probably A/C just to keep them alive. Obviously you'd rather not re home them where you are but moving chickens to AZ is tricky. In July? I'm so sorry you have to face this. It's very difficult.

Don't be fooled, it was in the upper 90's here today alone. 98 for the high at my house, and probably 75% humidity. I don't think that the temperatures will be too vastly different, I think it'll be the humidity change that will be the danger. I have my own coop to put them in when we get somewhere, and they will be vet checked and cleared and I'll have their NPIP paperwork before we leave so we don't have any problems crossing state lines.

Quote:
Hi John
frow.gif

I can absolutely understand moving your ladies, unfortunately I am in Tucson. I think you will be able to find a spot up there in the Phoenix area, I see you already have one option, but if nothing works out and you are desperate, let me know, we can work something out.

I don't know where you are coming from, and I can't imagine driving across the country with our ladies in the car, but I will do it when I have to!

You are right that the dryness is severe, but it does also mean that the shade works a little better. Lots of cool water, a fan, and moist spots of soil work wonders.

Good luck with the move!

Quote:

Don't be fooled, it was in the upper 90's here today alone. 98 for the high at my house, and probably 75% humidity. I don't think that the temperatures will be too vastly different, I think it'll be the humidity change that will be the danger. I have my own coop to put them in when we get somewhere, and they will be vet checked and cleared and I'll have their NPIP paperwork before we leave so we don't have any problems crossing state lines.

Well hey, I'm just sorry I'm so urban. My best wishes for your painless transition and do please keep us apprised. Welcome to Arizona, is there anything else you could use help with?

Another question,

I assume once I'm settled that I'll have a block wall around my yard (most likely frm the homes we've been looking at). What predators should I be concerned about there when I have a block wall and live in a somewhat dense development? It'll likely be Queen Creek or San Tan Valley.

Quote:
Dogs, great horned owls, a variety of hawks and most likely raccoons. I think a block wall (I have one too) helps to keep a lot of ground dwellers from laying eyes on your birds and thus limit discovery, but it doesn't offer a huge amount of protection. Determined dogs and coyotes can easily leap the wall. Perhaps the best part of having the wall is that it keeps my LF chickens contained in the yard. Only once when they were very small did one chicken get up on the wall. Good luck with the move!

URGENT>> HELP...

My incubator crashed lost the eggs for my broody (first time broody mom) she has been sittn on those eggs faithfully. Any one have some day old chicks they could part with? I need them on a rush. Please PM immediately so I can come get some..

Thnx

Quote:
Dogs, great horned owls, a variety of hawks and most likely raccoons. I think a block wall (I have one too) helps to keep a lot of ground dwellers from laying eyes on your birds and thus limit discovery, but it doesn't offer a huge amount of protection. Determined dogs and coyotes can easily leap the wall. Perhaps the best part of having the wall is that it keeps my LF chickens contained in the yard. Only once when they were very small did one chicken get up on the wall. Good luck with the move!

In Queen Creek and Santan Valley, add bobcats to the list. There are raccoons about, but not nearly as many as you will find in non-desert areas. I think they are probbaly more likely to be in urban areas than in the more rural areas of the valley.

Quote:

In Queen Creek and Santan Valley, add bobcats to the list. There are raccoons about, but not nearly as many as you will find in non-desert areas. I think they are probbaly more likely to be in urban areas than in the more rural areas of the valley.

I agree, do add bobcats to the list. We have had them in my neighborhood in midtown Tucson, and the researchers here say they are throughout the cities and outlying areas.

Back
Top Bottom