Arizona Chickens

Quote:
lau.gif

Quote:
Ok, I'm totally game for this.
thumbsup.gif
I often think the same thing about seeing everyone's coops & chickens. Plus it gives me ideas on what I could do better for my girls. I'll take pics this weekend when I'm moving my stinky chicks outside to their grow-out brooder crib. Literally, a crib!

frow.gif
My DH just built a coop for my 3 new Seramas. I stopped by the Restore & they had a crib that they couldn't sell - so I took it. Voila! New crib coop
clap.gif
DH put a 1/2 floor where the mattress would rest, put walls on top of the floor, then a roof, ramp...covered with chicken wire & awning fabric on top for roof. It's great...I can move it by myself (only slightly struggling). They love it.

Glad I'm not the only one with "crazy" (as DH calls them) ideas.

That's a great idea since they make kiddie coops!! LOL
http://content.artofmanliness.com/uploads//2011/06/kiddie2.jpg

Quote:
I can influence the favorite box. It's where ever I put the most golf balls. I swear they can count!
lol.png

Ooooh! I am going to try that. At least with the BO's and DE's. Everytime my Old English sees a golf ball she goes broody. We thought about renaming her Tiger Woods.

Quote:
I can influence the favorite box. It's where ever I put the most golf balls. I swear they can count!
lol.png

My chicks only ever lay in the one with the golf balls, or the one the rooster takes them too
smile.png

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! Here are some pictures of our hen house. It was made from scrap and pieces we had around. Lots of cut 2x4's! It still needs to be painted but I'm trying to follow my own rule and not spend money on the hen house. I'm waiting for some kind of paint to fall magically into my lap!
big_smile.png

No eggs yet. Ziggy the oldest, was born the 2nd week in May. The other two a few weeks later. (Ziggy was hatched as school project egg, the other two from Mesa Feed barn) I was wondering with the days getting shorter, do you think I will get eggs yet. Or maybe I need to use a light? I'm interested in any opinions.
IMG_7331.jpg
IMG_7333.JPG

Two hens joined our family yesterday and so I decided that I might as well stop lurking and join the forum already. So...hi! Let me introduce my girls:

2d92uyc.jpg

This is Scraps, our New Hampshire Red.

21ln2up.jpg

And this is Eleanor Roosevelt, our Dark Brahma.

Our family also includes a shepherd/lab mix, a pit/lab mix, my husband, and me. We're ex-city folks who are embracing homesteading as wholeheartedly as we can and as clumsily as might be expected. The girls are a major milestone for us.

It's windy today up here in the high desert, but Scraps and Eleanor seem content out in their run, pecking at a pile of greens from the restaurant where I work. I didn't sleep much last night, and I woke early this morning to check on them. I think I'm in love. And I think I'm going to like this chicken thing.

And I am so grateful this forum exists!

Back
Top Bottom