Arizona Chickens

Quote:
Not sure a person with nearly 600 posts counts as a "noob". You are the posterchild of a chicken-enthusiast!
lol.png

Quote:
I have had an automatic coop door now for almost a year. I got the one with the light sensor (not timer) so it closes at dusk and opens at dawn year round without adjustments. I leave often at 4:30 and come home often at 20:00. Sometimes I am not at home at all. I had very few problems with the door and they were all due to my installation. I can highly recommend the system. Especially after my roosters (that did not have a coop door) got eaten. I guess if it was not for the coop door opener, my hens would be coyote food as well (to all coyotes: currently installing an electric fence
tongue.gif
)!
I'll include a pic with my coop pics.

Yea, the old landlords kicked the nice people out a month early and have moved in!(sarcasm). There goes the property value of this street dropping some more. Anyone do brick walls for virtually free? Ok sorry for the rant. Welcome to all the new people. Excellent idea about the coops Becky, I love looking at all the creative designs in different areas that people come up with. I'll see if I can talk my DW into taking some time to show me how.
hmm.png

Quote:
?? Cake?? I want Cake!!

frow.gif
Hey Dar!! I have a little broodie from the Easter Hatch that is sitting on the GCM girl's eggs. Dad is a pretty EE, so I am hoping for some Olive Eggers!!

Quote:
I'm so jealous you have peafowl! I could neuter your goats for you but I've only done baby lambs, we never used anesthesia on the little babies. But, $600? Holy smokes! I usually paid 75-100$ for a colt to get gelded!

I got them (against my high & mighty aunts wishes) from my Gramma's property after she died a couple months ago. My aunt was going to sell them (all 30+ and 6 babies) to the highest bidder...I figured, I'm kin & I'm taking 'em for free. So I got 2 babies, hoping I would get a male & female...looks like 2 female to me though. I was hoping to carry on her line - they were such gorgeous creatures. If I had more, I would definitely share.

As for the goats - I would totally throw those guys in the truck & haul them up to you. Paying the gas would be way cheaper than the vets price of $700 total. Cuz dang...they stink! I would do it myself, but my experience is nil...afraid I would do something wrong & hurt one of them.

Quote:
?? Cake?? I want Cake!!

frow.gif
Hey Dar!! I have a little broodie from the Easter Hatch that is sitting on the GCM girl's eggs. Dad is a pretty EE, so I am hoping for some Olive Eggers!!

How about cupcakes?

Here are a few of my cupcake creations:

For those who like drumsticks....
66234_img_1031.jpg

or not!
66234_img_7508.jpg

Quote:
Ok, I'm totally game for this.
thumbsup.gif
I often think the same thing about seeing everyone's coops & chickens. Plus it gives me ideas on what I could do better for my girls. I'll take pics this weekend when I'm moving my stinky chicks outside to their grow-out brooder crib. Literally, a crib!

frow.gif
My DH just built a coop for my 3 new Seramas. I stopped by the Restore & they had a crib that they couldn't sell - so I took it. Voila! New crib coop
clap.gif
DH put a 1/2 floor where the mattress would rest, put walls on top of the floor, then a roof, ramp...covered with chicken wire & awning fabric on top for roof. It's great...I can move it by myself (only slightly struggling). They love it.

Glad I'm not the only one with "crazy" (as DH calls them) ideas.

For Mikey D and any others building coops - my advice is to avoid stacked nesting boxes if possible. Alll hens want the top box and it leads to what I call the Clown Car Effect.

79087_trio3.jpg

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

I think they have a favorite no matter what.
I have 3 horizontal nest boxes for 4 chickens right now and they all want the corner box (except for one who occasionally likes laying under the boxes on the floor).
When my 6 chicks start laying (assuming they all do)
fl.gif
I'm sure they'll want the corner box too.
lol.png

edited because a smiley didn't work
hu.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Ok, I'm totally game for this.
thumbsup.gif
I often think the same thing about seeing everyone's coops & chickens. Plus it gives me ideas on what I could do better for my girls. I'll take pics this weekend when I'm moving my stinky chicks outside to their grow-out brooder crib. Literally, a crib!

frow.gif
My DH just built a coop for my 3 new Seramas. I stopped by the Restore & they had a crib that they couldn't sell - so I took it. Voila! New crib coop
clap.gif
DH put a 1/2 floor where the mattress would rest, put walls on top of the floor, then a roof, ramp...covered with chicken wire & awning fabric on top for roof. It's great...I can move it by myself (only slightly struggling). They love it.

Glad I'm not the only one with "crazy" (as DH calls them) ideas.

We have to see pictures of this one!

Back
Top Bottom